Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Recipe Binders

These are my three recipe binders.  I created the covers with scrapbook paper. :)

I love to look at cookbooks.   I buy cookbooks and look at the pictures and sometimes I even make some of the recipes.  

This past year I made a promise to myself.....no more buying cookbooks.  Thank goodness for the internet....

 I have spent a great deal of time looking through all my cookbooks and tearing out at least four recipes I am willing to try.  I created a binder of recipes where I keep recipes that I am interested in making.

I had another binder of family favorites.  I was very pleased with this system until I saw Natalie's Menu Binder at Endless Crafting then I decided I could improve my system and make it better.

Natalie has a ten week menu program set up of her family's favorite dinners.  She has all kinds of spreadsheets for keeping track of her inventory of food and needed supplies.  

I need something quick and simple.  So I am in my third week of creating my own system.  Nothing fancy....just the basics.
  

First I went through my binder of family favorites and sorted them into weeks.  Then I added one or two new meals to try each week.  I have five weeks set up right now.  So far I love it.

I created a simple table and divided it by the aisles at the food store.  I listed the items for each of the recipes each week.  Then I check before I leave to see if I have the items, if I do I cross them off.  Now I have an instant food shopping list.  It has made food shopping a lot easier.  This is a sample list I take with me.


I know this is not the final product...I have a feeling it will always change a bit.  I am saving pages on my computer so I can make changes each week. 

April 3, 2011
I'm updating this post a bit....I've been using this menu binder for several weeks and I love.....love...love...it!!!!  It is so nice to come home from work and know right away what you are going to make and know that you have all your supplies.   Grocery Shopping is very easy as well.....I read through the list and cross out what I already have and I am ready in minutes to go shopping.  Thank you Natalie for adding this wonderful idea to my life :)

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Awesome! It is a wonderful feeling to have it all done and completely organized for your family. I love mine and it has been a lifesaver for our family. Thanks for mentioning my blog..so glad to see someone doing it too!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered I can check cookbooks out of the library!! LOL It is a good way to find recipes without committing to buying the whole book :)

I love the scrapbook paper you used on your binders :)

Erin Branscom said...

I am a new follower! :) love your blog! Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

Suzanne said...

What a great system!