Saturday, June 25, 2011

New Family Traditions

Now that my children are growing up and moving out


.....I am trying to start a new family tradition.  At first the kids were all coming home on different days and wanting to eat dinners on different nights.  It was a bit difficult for me because I was working.

Then I decided that I would host family night on Saturdays instead.....that way all the kids could still be together with us.  Family Night is not mandatory....it is just for those who want to come home to eat a meal.

So for our first Saturday Night Dinner we made

Grilled Steak and Vegetable Salad 
I found this recipe on Kraft Foods

You will need:  

2 lbs. sirloin steak (this depends on how many people)

Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

I used two yellow peppers, washed, and cut into strips.

I like red leaf lettuce.....how much lettuce you use depends on how many people you have.

Two large red tomatoes cut into wedges

1/2 cup thinly cut red onions

Heat your grill to medium high or however you like to grill your steak.  

Brush 1/3 cup of the dressing on the steak and peppers.  I generally put the pepper on al. foil so they don't fall through the grill.

Grill until steak is done......Peppers need about 10 min. 

Meanwhile organize your salad.

I like to top the salad with parmesan cheese. 





I bought frozen rolls and warmed them up in the oven and mixed together this butter recipe  that I found at Chef in Training that taste similar to the butter served at Texas Roadhouse.  

You just mix together 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp cinnamon and SERVE

It reminds me of frosting.....but it lasted all week and we had it on toast and it was delicious.    If you want to make rolls from scratch I suggest you go to Nikki's blog and follow her directions.  I didn't have time to make the rolls.  


Another great recipe I found and Nikki's blog, Chef in Training which I made was Cookie Dough Brownies.  I followed Nikki's recipe and everyone loved the brownies but next time I might skip the brownie step and make brownies from a box and then continue with the cookie dough part of the recipe  to save some time.  


No comments: