Friday, April 6, 2012

Lemon Sugar Cookies



Now that I am eating Gluten free and many other diet restrictions.  One of the items I miss or grave is lemon.  Maybe because I am not suppose to drink my favorite strawberry lemonade anymore.  Anyways I have had this cookie recipe tucked in the corner of my cookbook for years and I decided today was the day. 

I had to make some modifications to the recipe to make it GF and when I was finished the dough did not stick together so I added water.  That helped a lot.  

The cookies taste delicious.... a bit grainy but I think that is the cake mix I used.  
Next time I am going to try to use King Arthur's Cake Mix and see if that makes a difference.

Gluten Free Lemon Sugar Cookies 
1 stick butter
1 egg
1 pkg gluten free cake mix
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 Tbsp. lemon peel
1 tsp. lemon extract
3 Tbsp. water

Preheat oven at 350 F. 

Mix together butter and egg on medium speed for a few seconds.  Gradually add in vanilla cake mix until combined.

Stir in cornmeal and lemon peel.

Add lemon extract and water.

Form into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.

Bake for 7 minutes.  Let cookies cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet.  Transfer to a rack. 

Click Here for Your Copy of the Recipe

Please Note:
I adapted this recipe from a recipe I found years ago in a Better Homes and Garden Magazine.  It was submitted by Gloria K.  of Eden Prairie, MN.  The Recipe was a prize winner for Best Cake Mix Fix-Up Category., March 2002.

No comments: