Saturday, December 26, 2015

What I Know For Sure Book Review

I don't know why I purchased this book I was already reading three different books.  I felt I should finish one of those first, however  I needed Oprah's wisdom during my radiation treatments.  What I liked about the book was that it was short little pieces of wisdom.  I believe they were her articles from her magazine.  The shorter pieces were perfect for reading between appointment and naps.

"Taking care of your body, no matter what, is an investment, and the return is priceless."
This is a lesson I am learning right now.  After my surgery and radiation treatment I am left with a body that is extremely out of shape and over weight.  My back is in a lot of pain.  I can barely stand for five minutes without looking for a chair to sit down in.  My feet are swelling up on a daily basis.  I can barely do one mile on the elliptical.  I can not hold my grand baby for very long.
"How you spend your time defines who you are.....and I want to shine my light for good."
I spend a lot of my time working.  I am obsessed with making sure my students always have what they need first no matter what.  I am constantly looking for new ideas to make learning fun in my classroom.  I go to work at 6:30am and I come home and continue to work until 10:00 some nights.  I need to find some balance.
"Your body needs to move and wants to be fed well."
I can not sit around and do school work all the time I need to carve out time for myself and get exercising.  I also need to take the time to cook correctly for myself.  I was doing so well before I got sick.  I was planning healthy meals and cooking in the crock pot.  Now I am coming home from work exhausted and I just don't care what we eat.
"The consistancy of stillness -- only from that space can you create your best work and your best life. 
You have to be still to find it."
I need more time to reflect in quietness......quietness is not a word that I am familiar with.  My life seems to be loud and louder.  If I am not working with little children then I am doing something with or for my family.  I am seriously moving from morning to night and time for thinking, reflecting and stillness is something I don't have much of.  However I need to find some time to think!
"I am responsible for my life and all my choices"
This is one of the reason why I like Oprah so much.  She has a no excuse approach to life.  If you have a problem identify and the work to fix it.  If you have been reading my blog for a while you know that I struggle with my weight.  I can come up with 100 reasons why I am over weight but the reality is I love to eat especially sweets.
"How can I continue to move forward"
I have identified my problem now I need to find the strength to lose weight.  Where and how will I start?
"I've given up on scale watching because I will not let a number determine how I feel about myself and whether if I am worthy of a good day."
I know I don't want to be tied to the scale because I get so discouraged when the number is not where I want it to be.  I want to focus on healthy living and exercising.
"Always do your best you've got to be willing to do the real work"
I want to focus on positive habits and challenges that I can incorporate and improve my daily living.  I got a fit bit for Christmas and I need to get it set up and going.
"Nothing happens until you decide.......and then when you decide make a commitment to your decision."
This is my biggest problem ......committing to my decisions.  I need to make this happen.  Maybe I should tie this into some kind of reward for myself.  If I can meet my commitments then I earn something towards my rocker I want or a new bag.

"When you know better, you do better." Maya Angelou
Now I do know it is better for my health and well being so I need to do whatever it takes to do better.

"Do my things promote joy, beauty, and usefulness...........create space to purchase with purpose."
This quote is my focus for my house this year.  I want to continue to tweak the space I live in to keep it simple yet promote joy when I look at it.

If I had to rate this book I would give it .  If definitely gets you thinking and reflecting on your priorities.






No comments: