Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Rest of My Gifts


The last time I posted was right before Easter and then we went on a short vacation when we came back I have been swamped with work.  But I am here to post the end of my 29 Gifts.  

25.  Compassion for a sick person on the plane....
We had a horrible landing into Las Vegas.  It was a very windy day and needless to say the plane tossed and bounced and we came into the airport.  The women next to me got sick.  I offered her a clean bag and some kleenex.  I felt horrible for her.  I can't imagine being sick in front of strangers.    

26.  Giving to a homeless person.....
On the first day of our vacation my husband was sick.  So I had a little time on my own.  I could not believe how many homeless people there was in Las Vegas.  So I purchased two Starbucks gifts cards and drop them in two peoples' buckets.  I didn't want to give cash because I wanted them to get food or coffee.  

27.  Rounding up at the check out line..
Another thing I did in Vegas was at the check out lines I was always being asked to round up for different causes.  This is something I do at the grocery store however I continued to do it on vacation.  It seems like more and more stores and starting to do this.  

28.  Collecting the soaps at the hotel to give to the homeless shelter
Before I left on vacation I read in the school newsletter that the men's prayer group would be collecting toiletries for the homeless. So I packed my own soaps and then at the hotel collected their little soaps for the homeless.  Then when I arrived home I went to Target and picked up a toothbrush and toothpaste.  

29.  Giving away my stash of JUNK....
For the last couple of years I have been collecting toilet tubes and lids from sour cream and yogurt containers.  I was saving for art projects for my classroom.  I decided I didn't need to hold on to these no more and so I donated them to the art room at my school.  

What I learned from this process
I think the gifts I enjoyed giving the most were the ones people did not expect to receive.  I especially liked giving something that did not cost something.  I enjoyed giving my time or something of my self.  I also felt that I was more thoughtful and patient towards other people and that was a good feeling.  

No comments: