Monday, April 2, 2018

March Reading Log 2018







Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, took me forever to read.  I almost gave up reading at the beginning of the book because it just seem like a lot of rambling,  However Cheryl convienced me  to hang in there and keep reading.  The second half of the book was wonderful.   Jane Eyre follows the emotions and experiences of a young girl into adulthood who is living in England.  Jane’s parents die when she is very young and she is sent to live with her uncle’s family.  Once her uncle passes away her Aunt is very cruel to her. She is sent away to an all girl school.  The school is like an orphanage for unwanted girls.  It is very strict and religious.  At sixteen she becomes a governess and falls in love with the master of the house Mr. Rochester. 
#mmdreadingchallenge2018
#unreadshelfproject2018.

 84 Charring Cross Road by Helene Hanff, is a wonderful story about a writer in New York City and the employees at an used-book shop in London, England. 

It is the actual correspondence between author Helene Hanff and the booksellers.  Even though they never meet in person, they develop a friendship based on their love for books.  It is a charming story that shows the love and kindness that readers share everywhere.  It is an adorable ****/5 star book. 
#unreadshelfproject2018  #mmdreadingchallenge2018


One Day We’ll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter by Scaachi Koul is a look into a young girl’s life who struggles as she grows up with her Indian immigrant parents in Canada.  She is exposed to stereotypes, and sexism and other cruelties of society.     This was one of my challenge books for Modern Mrs. Darcy, to read a book about another culture.  This was definitely outside my little box but it was interesting.  I think it is ***/5 stars. 
#mmdreadingchallenge2018

It’s out of control, my love for this series.  I have two more books left before I will be forced to wait for the new book to come out.  The Nature of the Beast was a bit different from the other books.  Armand is trying to enjoy retirement but a little boy is murdered in Three Pines and the former Chief Inspector’s team comes to town to help him solve the murder.  There are spies, terrorism and even a serial killer in this book.  I give this book ****/5 stars.  #unreadshelfproject2018


Maisie Dobbs  by Jacqueline Winspear was a recommended by topshelftext on Instagram.  Maisie starts working for Lady Rowan Compton at the age of 13 as a servant.  The story begins in 1910 in England before WW1.   Lady Compton realizes that Maisie is extremely intelligent.  She sets her up with a tutor, Maurice Blanche.  Maisie studies with Maurice however is called to serve as a nurse during WW1 where she falls in love with Simon.  When Maisie returns after WW1 she becomes an appetence of Maurice and then eventually Maisie starts her own business as an investigator after he retires.  As she investigates a place called The Retreat, where WWI veterans go to get away from society, she discovers the veterans  have to sign away all their money.  An nobody ever seems to leave that place alive.    I give this book  ****/5 stars. 

In the morning I like to read books that I think will somehow improve my life.  I found this book on instagram and I am not going to lie, I am a sucker for simplicity books and throw in the pink flowers and of course I had to get the book, Soulful Simplicity by Courtney Carver.  My goal this year is to get rid of stuff my husband and I don’t use.  I really liked the short chapters; it made it easy to read one or two chapters a morning. 
Quick Take Aways:
·      I do things I don’t want to so I can be healthy.
·      Make a list of ten things you don’t want to do that you know will help you.  Then choose one thing from your list and put it into action immediately.
·      What changes do I HAVE to make to be healthy NOW and in the future?
·      Create your own project 333!  33 clothes items for 3 months. 
·      Create a daily routine that contributes to your long-term health and goals.
#unreadshelf2018



Wishtree by Katherine Applegate is a middle grade book that has a lot of today’s social issues packed into a heart-warming story.  Red is a neighborhood tree that is home to many animal families and a silent observer of the people in the neighborhood.  People have brought their wishes to the tree each year for over 200 years.   Over the years the tree has witness many new families in the neighborhood, some families were welcomed and others were not.  The book deals with friendship, hatred, stereotypes, and building a community of understanding.  I thought it was a ***/5 star book.
#middlegrademarch   #middlegradebooks


The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser is my second middle grade book for Middle grade March.  The Vanderbeekers are a biracial family that lives in Harlem, New York in a brownstone.  The family is part of the community.  They know almost everyone in the neighborhood by name.  The just before Christmas their landlord decides not to renew their lease.  What will they do?  They have lived here forever and they don’t want to move.  They have 11 days to win over their landlord and change his mind.  I  like this book for kids for several reasons:  1.  It shows a positive family unit.  2.  It shows siblings with differences still working together.  3.  It shows the kids getting involved with their neighbors.  I give this book ***/5 stars. 
#middlegrademarch   #middlegradebooks


No comments: