Sunday, March 31, 2019

March 2019 Reading Log


This month I read some amazing 5 star books books, even the 4 star books were memorable.  I have to say, Daisy Jones and Six was my favorite book. Where the Crawdads Sing and We Were the Lucky Ones were very emotional books and Britt-Marie Was Here made me laugh the most.   The Bookshop had my favorite cover but I would have to say I didn’t care for the story.

Daisy Jones and The Six  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
We Were the Lucky Ones  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Where The Crawdads Sings  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Maybe in Another Life  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Winter Garden  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Britt-Marie Was Here  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Bookshop  ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  


“There is nothing worse,
not even the daily hell of the ghetto, than for a mother to live with such fear and uncertainty about the
fates of her children.”  

We Were The Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter is based on a true story of the Kurc family from Radom, Poland during WWII.   They, like many other Jewish families, could not begin to imagine the hardship and cruelty they were about to endure at the hands of the Germans and Russians just because they were Jewish during the war.  The family was split up during the war. The parents were forced to move from their home to the ghetto. Their business was taken from them and they were given labor jobs they were forced to work at long hours each day for very little pay.   The family tried to write letters to each other but many of the letters were unanswered because each family member was changing their name and moving in order to avoid being sent to a camp. This was an amazing ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star book about love, family and self sacrifice.  



“I know there may be universes out there where I made different choices and they led me somewhere
else, led me to someone else.  And my heart breaks for every single version of me that didn’t end up
with you.”  


Maybe In Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a book that is completely different than anything I’ve read lately.   You can tell it is a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star book when it leaves you thinking about the story days after you finished the book.  It left me thinking which was Hannah’s real life? Both lives were amazing love stories. Both love stories were happy endings.  But which guy was Hannah’s true love? Or was the point we make our own happy endings.

I’m not sure which ending I liked more.  Either way Hannah’s life turned out wonderful.  




“When I eventually retire I’ve no sooner read a few pages then I’m overwhelmed with sleep.”

This quote sums up my reading lately.  Every time I snuggle up with a good book I fall asleep in the first few pages.   That is one reason I am so thankful for audiobooks.

The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald is a short little book about Florence, a widow,  who takes her small inheritance and opens the only bookshop in a small seaside town.  Her bookshop leaks and it is haunted but that’s not her biggest problem, does her little town want a bookshop.   

I love reading books about books.   This is a cute little story.



“You have to have one person in your life that you know would never do anything to steer you wrong.
They may disagree with you.   They could even break your heart, from time to time. But you have
to have one person, at least, who you know will always tell you the truth.”

I know many readers have wrote how great Daisy and the Six is and they are not lying.  I just love this book. I’ve already recommended this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star book to all my close friends.   I still want to read more about Daisy and Billy. The format of the book is perfect and I thought the audiobook was amazing with a cast of characters.  I love that it is written as an interview. It is what you would expect of a rock band story. There is music, of course, drugs, alcohol, sex and a love story.  



“To those who are here, those who are gone, and those who are lost.”

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah was a bit of an eye opener for me.   I must admit I know little history of the Russian region.  I know the people there have had some hard years and there has been censorship and political persecution.  However I had not read anything about how the people had suffered during WWII. To be honest I was caught off guard on this book.  

This book bounces back and forth between  Meredith and Nina’s lives as they struggle to deal with the death of their father.  They both make promises to their father to help with their mother whom they never really got along with.  She was distant and cold to the girls as they were growing up. Now as all adults they need to find out how or if they can live together as a family.   As Meredith is dealing with her aging Mom she feels it’s time to move her to a home but Nina wants to find a way to break down the walls around her and find out what she has been hiding all these years.   
The story has love, history and family drama and it is a wonderful ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star read with a twist at the end.   



“Autumn leaves don’t fall, they fly. They take their time and wander on this their only chance to soar.”




⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars for Delia Owens book, Where The Crawdads Sing.  This is an emotional book about Kya who raised herself in the marshlands of North Carolina.    After her family abandoned her around the age of five she is left to figure out life herself.  She learns to earn money by digging up mussels in the middle of the night so she can by gas and food.  As she grows up she opens up her heart only to have more people abandon her. However when the “marsh girl” is convicted of murdered she finds out that there are people who do love her.  



“He was my friend, and you can’t just go around replacing friends.”

I read Bobby vs. Girls Accidentally by Lisa Yee with my fifth grade reading group.  It was a cute book about Bobby who needs to work through his feelings of being lonely when his best friend Holly makes some new girl friends.  At first when the girls picked this book I was not excited about it but it has some nice life lessons in it.



“One morning you wake up with more life behind you than in front of you, not being able to
understand how it’s happened.”

Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman is a charming story of an older woman who has just found out her husband has been having an affair for the past two years and she leaves him and looks for a job.  She has been the “proper” kind of house wife for Kent and his children for 30 years. She has a lot of preconceived notions based on what Kent has told her throughout the years and she is very set in her ways especially when it comes to the kitchen.  

The unemployment office sends her to run down recreation center in a struggling community to be a caretaker.  At first Britt-Marie doesn’t fit in with the community around her. They are different from her not that she would judge them for that.  However one by one Britt-Marie wins over the people at the community center. She becomes a football (soccer) coach for the kids team, she becomes involved with a family with no parents.   She becomes a beloved member of the community. This is a great story about opening up your heart and taking chances, I give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 stars.



“When you’ve lived in a cage, you can’t bear not to run, even if what you’re running towards is an illusion.”

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O’Brien, won the 1972 Newbery Medal.   Mrs. Frisby is on a quest to save her son. He is too ill to move to the summer home and she must move before the garden is plowed.  Mrs. Frisby must find the courage to trust an owl and the rats to find a solution to her dilemma. This wonderful story teaches that with enough courage and determination anything is possible if you are willing to work together in your community.  

No comments: