Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Serenity


Happy 4th of July


The past three weeks have been wonderful.  I love summer.  No rushing around, no timetable, no living one-day at a time.  Last night when I was reading I finally realized why I love summer so much, the feeling is serenity. 

You know this prayer:
God give us the grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed;
Courage to change the things that should be changed;
And the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

I am constantly mentally running a marathon during the school year.  I rarely have time to sit and think anything through.  I wake up in the middle of the night frantic to write something down so I won’t forget the next morning. 

This is the first summer I am taking “off”, that means no tutoring, no summer classes; My children have jobs of their own so I just have time to do what I want to do. 

I am supposed to be bike riding but since I fell the other day I cannot even ride my bike.  More time for me to think and read, for the first time in many years I can do one project at a time and complete it.  I can create a list of things to do and actually do them.  I am accomplishing all that I set out to do and I feel happy and satisfied.  Each hour of the day is peaceful and thoughtful and I am experiencing serenity.  

I even baked cookies for the 4th of July, this is something I haven’t done is years. 

No comments: