Saturday, November 30, 2013

Book Review: 7 An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

 7 an experimental mutiny against excess
By Jen Hatmaker


I had this book on my Christmas list last year and it never really spoke to me.  However I wanted to read it before the end of the year.  You know before you add new books to your wish list for Christmas. 

I like the premise of the book, simplifying the material things in your life to make room for God and for quiet reflection.  Each month the author modified something in her life to cause some kind of discomfort because she believed that through, “Discomfort creates room for the Holy Spirit,”   ummm this is something to reflect on. 

So true, when we are pushed to our limits hopefully the best of us comes out if not it will give us something to think about and improve upon for the next time. 

“Jesus, may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your kingdom.” 

This is a little prayer, Jen said as she began her project.  I sort of like this prayer.  Sometimes I feel I get so caught up in my little world that I forget to look around me at the bigger picture.  Please do not get me started on the amount of junk we have.  I would definitely like to be less about myself and my stuff and more about others. 
 
source
What is your legacy?  How do you want to be remembered? 
I want to be remembered as someone who is always gratefully for what I have and what I have been given.  I want to be remembered as someone who is humble and hopeful.  And most importantly I want to be remembered as someone who loves and you can count on for honesty and integrity. 
 
source
I think I would like to do my own experiment however not to Jen’s extremes.  I am still reflecting on what that would look like and how it will fit into my legacy.  I don’t know if I could just eat seven foods for a month or wear seven clothes for a month.  I know I could go without TV for a month however the computer would be another thing.  What about emails especially from work?  I could definitely downsize any area of my life and I really need to find ways to deal with stress.

I would not say this book inspired me as much as it has left me with questions to think about.   

No comments: