Reflecting on Christmas 2013
One word can describe how I felt this Christmas Season…..overwhelmed! Mainly because I cannot find balance between work and home.
There is only one of me and I seem to be the only one who wants to or notices that things need to be done.
I was not organized and I was just getting by day by day. What did I need to do for the next day for work and for home? That was the question that would guide/haunt my decisions each day. I am still buying presents after Christmas for one son who cannot make up his mind about what he wants.
I sent out a email to my children at Thanksgiving asking for suggestions and giving this great pin…..at least I thought it was a great suggestion to help guide them as they created their lists. They (my grown children) did not like it at all.
So what am I thinking for next year?
What changes can I make so I do not run into this chaos again?
1. Plan on giving something small and the rest in money. That way they can get what they really want and I don’t have to nag them or beg them for a list and I don’t have to spend endless hours worrying about presents.
Just find one meaningful gift.
2. Plan my friend gifts ahead of time too. I have 12 friends I like to give something small to and it would be helpful if I plan that out in the summer.
3. Plan out my 24 student gifts in the summer as well. Can I make something ahead of time…. preferably without food.
4. St. Nick Gifts Need to be better……This year I gave them each a few cookies and a gift card. They didn’t seem to thrilled with it. Maybe St. Nick could be a handmade gift….again ahead of time. Maybe this handmade gift could be something I could also give to my sister and brother.
5. Grandbaby Tradition…Next year I will have my first Christmas with a grandbaby. What tradition would I like to start for my grandchildren? My kids seem to like the ornaments their grandparents gave them; I would like to make them more meaningful to their likes instead of everyone getting the same thing. Maybe even having their name and year engraved. I was thinking of making ornaments with them when they are little.
I definitely want to give a Christmas Book with a message and I will have to make an Advent Calendar.I also liked this felt tree on Pinterest.
I also thought it would be cute to make a little photo book about visits to Grandma and Grandpa's House.