Saturday, December 28, 2013

Thoughts about Christmas




Reflecting on Christmas 2013


One word can describe how I felt this Christmas Season..overwhelmed!   Mainly because I cannot find balance between work and home. 
There is only one of me and I seem to be the only one who wants to or notices that things need to be done. 


I was not organized and I was just getting by day by day.  What did I need to do for the next day for work and for home? That was the question that would guide/haunt my decisions each day. I am still buying presents after Christmas for one son who cannot make up his mind about what he wants.
 
source
I sent out a email to my children at Thanksgiving asking for suggestions and giving this great pin..at least I thought it was a great suggestion to help guide them as they created their lists.  They (my grown children) did not like it at all. 

So what am I thinking for next year?  
What changes can I make so I do not run into this chaos again?


1.     Plan on giving something small and the rest in money.  That way they can get what they really want and I don’t have to nag them or beg them for a list and I don’t have to spend endless hours worrying about presents.  
Just find one meaningful gift.
2.    Plan my friend gifts ahead of time too.  I have 12 friends I like to give something small to and it would be helpful if I plan that out in the summer.
3.     Plan out my 24 student gifts in the summer as well.  Can I make something ahead of time. preferably without food. 
4.    St. Nick Gifts Need to be better……This year I gave them each a few cookies and a gift card.  They didn’t seem to thrilled with it.  Maybe St. Nick could be a handmade gift.again ahead of time.  Maybe this handmade gift could be something I could also give to my sister and brother.
5.    Grandbaby TraditionNext year I will have my first Christmas with a grandbaby.  What tradition would I like to start for my grandchildren?  My kids seem to like the ornaments their grandparents gave them; I would like to make them more meaningful to their likes instead of everyone getting the same thing.  Maybe even having their name and year engraved.  I was thinking of making ornaments with them when they are little.  
I definitely want to give a Christmas Book with a message and I will have to make an Advent Calendar. 
I also liked this felt tree on Pinterest. 
source
Maybe this is something I could make for the bedroom door.  It would be great if I made it during the summer..less stress.
I also thought it would be cute to make a little photo book about visits to Grandma and Grandpa's House.
source
These are two of my new decorations I purchased at Target this year.  I love the bright red metal.  It reminds me of something you would find in Norway or Sweden.


No comments: