Monday, June 26, 2017

June Reading Log

I Am Having So Much Fun Here Without You By C. Maum
I had a hard time identifying with this book.  Although the story was set in Paris I just could not identify with a man who had an affair and then complained the entire story that his wife and mistress left  him.  He is depressed because he misses his old life and wants his wife back....blah, blah, blah....I give this book 2 stars.  

The next book I read was The Vatican Princess by C.W. Gortner.  Wow, did this story open my eyes to the sandals in the early Catholic Church. The story is about a famous family of the fifteenth century in Renaissance Italy, The Borgia Family.  Lucrezia is the daughter of the pope.  She is trapped in her families web and forced to choose between family loyalty and survival.  This story has jealousy, family rivalry, revenge and papal politics all rolled into one story.  I give this book 5 stars.

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin is another historical fiction story that I read this month.  Cora Cash is a young girl who is considered the richest girl in America in the 20th century.  She travels to England with her mother and decides to marry the Duke of Wareham.  (Her mother wants her to have a "Duchess" title.)  But things are not as they seem and Cora learns quickly her money can not buy everything including happiness.  Cora must decide what is her life and marriage worth.  I give this book 4 stars.  

Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos is a light hearted story about three college friends who were glued together at the hip during college but afterwards things fall apart. Penn and Will are brought back together to find their friend, Cat.  Throughout Penn and Will's journey they discover their love for each other, however can they forgive the sins of the past and learn to trust each other again.  I give this book 4 stars.  

That Summer by Lauren Willig is two stories woven together to create a mystery.  Story 1:  2009  Julia inherits a house near London and begins to clean it out and finds a valuable painting.  As she does this she meets relatives and a young man.  She also begins to remember the facts surrounding the death of her mother. Part 2: Imogen Grantham was trapped in a loveless marriage until she meets Gavin, a painter.  Their love story is sad and tragic. Lots of suspends, I give this story 4 stars.

Then I read, Friendship Bread, by D. Gee.  This story is about Julia who has suffered the loss of a child and is struggling to  hold her life together.  Her daughter finds some friendship bread on the porch. Through the process of sharing the bread Julia meets new friends, begins to deal with her son's death, notices her marriage is failing, and rebuilds the bond with her younger sister.  The friendship bread brings out the best in the community and the families it touches. I give this book 4 stars.  

Fish is a Tree by L.M. Hunt is one of those books that makes you think about how you treat the people around you.  Ally is a smart girl in 6th grade but she has dyslexia.  She has been in many different schools and has been able to hide it by being very disruptive in class.  At her new school Mr. Daniels is able to see through this and is willing to reach out to Ally and teach her to read and understand that she is not stupid.  I give this book 5 stars. 

Hungry Heart by J. Weiner, is a fun and humorous collection of real stories from Jennifer Weiner's life.  All the stories center around what lead her to be the writer she is today.  I give this book 3 stars.         

A Spool of Blue Thread by A. Tyler is the story of the Whitshank Family.  The story is mainly told in Abby's voice by it jumps around from generation to generation that all grew up in the same house.   Abby and Red had four children and lots of memories and secrets. Personally I would have liked this story told in chronological order.  I think it would have been easier to follow.  However it is a very good story.  I give this story 4 stars.  

The final book I am reading this month is Before We were Yours, by L. Wingate.  I'll be honest I have not finished this book however I am totally involved in the book.  I am always looking for free moments in my day when I can squeeze in a few more pages of this book.  It is about a young women, Avery,  who is trying to figure out her grandmother's mysterious past.  Her grandmother is in a nursing home and has Alzheimer's so her is forced to look for clues on her own.  Right now I would give this book 5 stars.  

No comments: