Saturday, December 30, 2017

My Top Ten Books for 2017

After reading 91 books this year I have narrowed my list to my top ten picks.  I didn't pick these books because they were popular with others, I picked these books because I really enjoyed these books.  There is not a particular order to this list it is just ten books I loved.  


 WE WERE LIARS, by E. Lockhart, is an interesting book it was hard to put the book down.  I wanted to take the book with me everywhere so I could read one more page.  I have recommended the book to several people.  The story is about a couple of cousins who get together each summer at their grandparent's summer home.  However one mistake can change everything.  That's all I can say without giving away the story.  This is a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 star book.  


The Book Thief by M. Zusak, is one of those books you cannot put down.  I was caught up in the life of the characters and their circumstances.  I just had to know what happens next.  Even after I finished reading the book I still wanted to know more. The story takes place in Germany during WWII.   I would give this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 stars


 The Nightingale, by K. Hannah, takes place in France during WWII.  It is about two sisters whose lives are impacted when the Nazis invade France.  Each sister without sharing with the other does her part to help others during the war. One sister helps her Jewish best friend and the other sister works with the French Resistance and aids Allied Pilots to escape to Spain. This is a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 star book.  Be prepared with lots of tissues because this story will tug at your heart in several places.  


 Leaving Time, by Jodi Picoult, was an amazing book.  This book was very interesting and held my attention. I couldn't wait to read the next chapter each day.  There was a lot of information about elephants because Jenna (the main character) parents both research and worked with elephants. As I read the story I felt like there was two different stories going on Jenna's, Serenity and Virgil search for the truth and Alice's (Jenna's mother) looking back over the events and recalling her research on how elephants cope with loss. In the end I was very surprised at the outcome, no more said without giving away the ending.  This is a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 star book.  
 Inside the O'Briens, by Lisa Genova, is an amazing story about Joe O'Brien and his family.  It is a heart breaking story about how Huntington Disease takes away so much from you, your job, your friends, your respect, and your life.  As Joe struggles with all of this he has to live with the fact that he has passed this disease down to his children and possible grandchildren.  The book is just a great reminder to not judge people....treat others with kindness and respect.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
 All The Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr is outstanding.  I guess that is why it won the Pulitzer Prize.  It it a complex story about two different lives during WWII in France. A young, blind, french girl (Marie-Laure) and a young german boy(Werner).  The chapters alternate telling their stories and perspectives during the war until one day their lives collide.  You will hold your breath during the last few chapters unable to put the book down. I give this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ /5 stars. 
 I started the mystery series by Louise Penny that takes place in Three Pines.  The main character is Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and he is a thoughtful, caring person who solves crimes.  What I like about the series is that you get to know the characters in the story and how they relate to each other.  One of my favorite quotes from Chief Inspector comes when one of the characters asks him why he doesn't carry a gun and he says, "because they are dangerous."  Yet he is able to arrest all his suspects without incidents. I have read the first four books in the series and all of them have been excellent.  I plan on reading the other books in 2018.   
  Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan, was a book I found by accident on Overdrive and I loved it. I picked this book because it had the word "bookstore" in it and I thought that I would at least give it a try as an audiobook.  It has a bit of mystery with a conspiracy and lot of high tech references. There was even a bit of a romance and humor.  I absolutely enjoyed this book.  I couldn't wait to get in the car to listen to this book each day. Don't tell my family but I took the long way home several times just to listen a bit longer.   I gave this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5.   
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, takes place in 1920 in Alaska.  The main characters, Jack and Mable are finding life in Alaska rough.  During the first snowfall of the season Jack and Mable build a snow girl.  The next morning the snow girl is gone however they spot a little girl in the woods.  What I enjoyed about this book was reading about what life was like during this period and time in Alaska.  I enjoyed reading how the community looked out for one another.  This is a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ /5 star book.  The book is well written and the characters are very interesting especially Faina.  The book keeps you guessing all the way to the end of the story.  



In June I went on a Jane Austen Marathon.  I had never read her books before and I fell in love with them.  I think Pride and Prejudice is my favorite.  

Here is how I would rank the stories:
1.  Pride and Prejudice
2.  Sense and Sensibility
3.  Emma
4.  Northanger Abby
5.  Mansfield Park
6.  Persuasion

No comments: