Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July Reading Log 2018



Wow what an amazing month for reading!!!!! I read some really good books that will definitely be in my top ten of the year. What I am most proud of is that I finally accomplished my goal of reading five middle grade books this month for Battle of the Books. Now on to August....Happy Reading!

Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry is a book that I read for Battle of the Books.  
I’m not a fan of horse books, but this book has a little history to it as well.  The book is about two children
Paul and Maureen Beebe who plan to own a pony of their own.  And not just any pony, they want the Phantom,
the wildest mare on Assateague Island. Paul plans on buying her after he captures her at the round up.  


On Pony Penning Day Paul surprised the town by bringing home the Phantom and her newborn colt.  
Paul and Maureen need to figure out how to buy them both. But before they get a chance to bid,
someone has already bought the Phantom and the colt.  But fate has other plans and all works out for Paul
and Maureen.
#middlegrades  #battleofthebooks2018   #newberryhonorbook

Reading the Fountain by Katie Klise is another book for the Battle of the Books.  
To me it was somewhat strange and humorous.
The whole story was written in letter form between students, teacher, principal, artist, and
school board president.  Add a bit of a mystery and it is somewhat interesting.
The middle school needs a new drinking fountain. The character Florence has a very different idea in mind
when you say fountain.  #battleofthebooks2018 #middlegradebooks



The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett, is my final book for the Modern Mrs. Darcy Challenge.
(a classic you’ve been meaning to read)  I’ve always wanted a garden that was fancy with little benches to sit in.
The story of Mary and Colin who are left on their own and revive a deserted garden as they form a
wonderful friendship.  I know there are some stereotypes in the book but the story is amazing.
#unreadshelfproject2018   #mmdreadingchallenge2018 #readingtheclassics
My dream secret garden.  
Image from:  The Cottage Marke



I used to love watching Veronica Mars with my daughter on TV each week.  
I have a fondness of fun mysteries that don’t get to gory or creepy.
So when I saw this book at the bookstore last year I had to pick it up.  
Veronica Mars The Thousand Dollar Tan Line was just that.  A fun mystery to read.  
It had several twists and turns in the story to keep it interesting.  I will definitely look for the second book.
I give this book ***/5 stars.  #unreadshelfproject2018





Lily’s Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff is my third book for the Battle of the Books this month.   
This is a wonderful historical fiction story about a young girl living in the US during with WWII.  
The story deals with how the war affects Lily and her Grandmother, her best friend Margaret,
and her neighbors the Orbans and their nephew, Albert.  It tackles wartime through
the emotions of a ten year old. This is a wonderful, thoughtful book. #battleofthebooks2018


Hooray for me!  I read four middle grade books so far this month.  
My goal is five and the last three months I only read one.   
So I am happy to get over that hump. Enough about me, The One and Only Ivan is an adorable book
for all ages.  It is based on a true story but you will figure out real quick it is fiction when the animals start talking.  
What a great story about friendship and courage. It has a lot of humor as well.
#battleofthebooks2018    #middlegrades

Make It Happen by Lara Casey was my quiet meditation book this month.    I have read her other book
Cultivate this year and was so inspired by it I had to get this one as well.  This book speaks to my desire
to live my life on purpose instead of autopilot.  Which I feel I have been doing the last thirty years don’t
get me wrong I have a wonderful life however my husband and I have always operating on what do we
need to get done to get through this week.  The weekends are generally go something like this family stuff
and then what do we need to do to prepare for another busy week. Although I have step back in life and
started working part-time many thanks to my husband for that.  Unfortunately he is still working a lot of hours.
These are my highlighted quotes that I wish to get back to and spend more time journaling and reflecting on.
What are you really chasing?
I needed a heart change.  What would your life look like if you had balance and success in it?  I
f you want change, choose it.  Step into the hard stuff in order to get to the good stuff.
 “Please, God, show me the way.”  Am I waiting to make change because I fear failure or hard work?  
Lean in, be honest, and know God is God.  He will guide you through this. What would happen
if you were capable of doing the very thing you think you cannot do?  
How would you be able to thrive--and help others? List the possibilities.
Our failures are gifts, allowing us to learn, grow, redirect, and take new -- and potentially better--paths.  
Life doesn’t have to be perfect for you to take a leap of faith. Work Hard for What Matters!
My Life + God’s Way = Living On Purpose
  • God’s way is the way of purpose.  Of living intentional in order to love others.
  • God’s way is the way of rest coupled with meaningful work.
  • God’s way is the way of true balance and lasting success.  
  • God’s way means less of us and more of Him.  
  • God’s way brings freedom, joy, and contentment.  
Commit to not working on Sunday  A life of purpose created boundaries.  
Boundaries help you raise the bar. Set office hours, this will change your life.  
The fruit of following him: “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control”
He makes our lives into gardens that our meant to be shared --inspiring others,
nourishing them, and equipping them to live on purpose too.  
Create a Life of Purpose!!  Make Intentional decisions!
  1. Evaluate your life.
  2. Clear the clutter.
  • No Social Media on Sundays
  • Clear the clutter on your computer
  • Unsubscribe, Unsubscribe, Unsubscribe
  • Turn off all alerts and give family members a special ringtone.  
  • Simplify and question everything
  • Fast from buying clothes, home decor, and other things you do not need -- school stuff!
  1. Set purposeful goals.  
  • Every hour of your life holds the possibility to change someone’s for the better.  
  • What long-term goals will help me live a life on purpose.?
  • What short term goals would help me live a life on purpose?
  1. Take Action.
  • Keep your daily lists small, realistic and actionable
  • How we spend our time is how we live our lives
  • Commit and follow through and complete each task
  1. Encourage others..
    • Be A Blessings for Others
Have clear boundaries, but make sure they are purposeful, allowing for relationships to grow.  
Sometimes the most lasting things in our lives are those that grow slowly over time,
with great care and patience.  If you want to live on purpose you will make time and it does
not cost any money!

I have been hiding in the air conditioning as much as possible now that it is fixed.
 I read the book, Young Jane Young, and I thought it was somewhat funny.  
I could relate to the mother/daughter relationship.  I could see my own daughter rolling her eyes at me as I talk.  
I cannot imagine not talking to my daughter for years. It’s hard to go a week without hearing from her.
 This book is fun and easy to read. The characters are interesting and the story is told from different perspectives.  
I give the book ****/5 stars. #bookstagram #booklove #ilovereading #instabooks #mothersanddaughters

Hooray! I met my goal of reading five battle of the books this month.  
This book was a great look into a child’s life of someone who has to deal with being different at
school and struggles with not understanding why her mother is not there to raise her.
 I love throughout the book as Naomi becomes aware of the significance of the others around her
and the meaning of some of the customs from the town where she was born.
(The flowers in this picture are from by garden.)  #battleofthebooks2018 #middlegradebooks














Five Days in Paris by Danielle Steel was by Paris book for the month.  The book was a typical Danielle Steel book,
no surprises, just a cute love story in France.  I give this book ***/5 stars.



I know I am a little late reading This Is How It Always Is, by Laurie Frankel, but I am so glad that I did.  This is a ***** star book without a doubt.
As a mother of three boys this book left me thinking how would I handle the situation
if it were presented to me.  How open would I be to my young child wanted to be something
different that he already is. The parents in this book seemed so calm and thoughtful and enlightened.
 I don’t know if I/we would have handled it in such a reasonable way.
The book leaves you with some thinking points even days after finishing it.



I’ve read some good reviews about this book so I thought I would give it a try.  I was expecting a light fun romance like most of Jojo Moyes books. This one had a bit more of a historical vibe going on.  It was really good with some predictable outcomes. I will give this book ***/5 stars.


No comments: