Friday, September 7, 2018

August 2018 Reading Log









       

In August, Augie and I started going to Baby and Me time at our local library.  
The time is real close to his morning nap time but he hangs in there.  
His favorite part of the program is the peek-a-boo scarves.
He loves playing with the colorful scarves.  We can only go once a month in the
Fall because of my work schedule but we love it.





A Simplified Life by Emily Ley, was my bedtime read this month.  I love reading something relaxing in the evening that I can easily step away from.  I also love to read something that can add a little bit to my life as well.


Quotes I want to remember from the book:  
  • “I want a life that is rich, sweet, and uncomplicated.  I don’t want to be weighed down by day-to-day responsibilities."  
  • "I want to be able to enjoy Saturdays, making memories with my family instead of folding mountains of laundry. "
  •  I want dinner to be a calm time to reconnect and enjoy good food with the people I love…...I want to be able to sit with my kids or with a friend and wholeheartedly listen…...I want to be able to enjoy this beautiful life, not be constantly overwhelmed by it.”  
  •   “Our home held only absolute necessities and cherished treasures.”
  •  “Give yourself the time and grace to go little by little.”  
  • "Finding ways to serve your spouse, giving without expectation of return, exemplify a strong union to your children, speak softly, demonstrate healthy love to your children, make your marriage a priority Date Nights, show affection."
  •  Crafting intentional, shared family memories and spending individual, quality time with each child.   #unreadshelfproject2018




Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng is one of those books that catches you out of nowhere.  
It is so captivating it is hard to put down. There is a typical rich family,
The Richersons, who rent a home to the poorer family, Mia and Pearl Warren.  
While Pearl is captivated with the rich lifestyle of the Richerson’s and the steadiness of the family.
The Richersons are captivated with Mia’s cooking and photography.
The lives and beliefs overlap and influence one another and their decisions.  
At the end of the story I still wanted to know more…..I give this book ****/5 stars. #unreadshelfproject2018








My Endless Summer is part 2 to the A Cafe by the Sea both by Jenny Colgan.  
It was a nice way to finish up my summer break now that school is back in session.  
The book is about Flora and Noel’s struggle with a long distance romance. It is a cute little book.
 I give it ***/5 stars.























I just finished Summer At Little Beach Street Bakery and tobe honest I don’t think I am reading the books in order so I am getting a bit confused on the timeline of things.  
However I find the stories of Polly and her pet puffin cute and whimsical. I give this book ***/5 stars.














I have to be honest, I had a hard time with this book, A Barrel of Laughs A Vale of Tears.  
It’s target audience is 4th and 5th graders and the humor is for them.  
I know kids will find this book hilarious but I wasn’t in that place this weekend.  
It was just to bizarre for me. #battleofthebooks2018


Well I’m all caught up with the L. Penny books.  I just finished Glass Houses and once again this is a wonderful mystery series.  Once again there is a mystery brewing in Three Pines, there is a mysterious figure standing in the center park area of Three Pines, all day long, the figure does not move it just stands there looking ahead.  The Three Pines community in creeped out by this figure standing there and wants Gamache, now Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Québec, to arrest him or something just get him out of the area.  However Superintendent Gamache does not have a reason or a cause to arrest the dark figure. Just because he is creepy is not a crime. Then one night the figure disappears and a young girl is dead in the basement of the town’s church and Mrs. Gamache find her.  Some months later in July, the trial has begun and it seems like Chief Superintendent Gamache is on trial but is it all a set up to catch the real murder. #unreadshelfproject2018








Big Little Lies has been out for a while but I finally got around to reading it.  
It was a fun book about murder/friendship/ and acceptance.
I just loved how the characters bonded together and how their lives overlapped.  
It is amazing how women can be the best of friends and your worst enemy at the same time.
I have read several Liane Moriarty books and this was my favorite one.  I enjoyed reading this book,
it was hard to put down. I give it ****/5 stars.














Abel’s Island by William Steig was a cute book about love, courage and friendship.  
It was about a mouse that is caught up in a storm and taken from his wife and friends.  
He has to make due on an island by himself until he can find a way to escape.
#battleofthebooks2018



















Baseball Fever is a cute book for baseball lovers.
It was an endearing story about a father and son trying to find a way to relate to each other.  
It is a quick and easy read.   #battleofthebooks2018




All-of-a-Kind Family is a adorable book about a Jewish family living in New York City in the early 1900’s.  I really liked the connection the children feel toward the local librarian. The book focused mainly on the family life and their traditions.  #battleofthebooks2018





Charlie Pippin was my fifth children’s book and WOW was it ever thought provoking and realistic.  
The story follows Charlie a little girl in sixth grade struggling to get along with her father.  
All of Charlie’s good intentions don’t seem to work out and she gets in more trouble at home and at school.  
When Charlie does her report on the Vietnam War, a war her father fought in, somehow she gets in more trouble.  
She doesn't know what else to do. #battleofthebooks2018











My Oxford Year is a wonderful story about a young girl, Ella, who is off to Oxford for one year.  
She is a very independent person. However on her first day there she runs into a handsome man, Jamie,
who happens to be her professor.  They decide to have a “no strings” relationship.
However life and feelings get in the way of this plan. This is the perfect “Chick Flick” book.  I give it ****/5 stars.

I read Rebecca when I was a teenager but honestly I didn’t remember a thing.  I am so glad I reread Rebecca. There are so many layers to this story there is no way I could have understood it at such a young age. #unreadshelfproject2018  #classics






OMG!!! A Fall of Marigolds is a beautiful story.  It centers around an antique scarf and how is came to
America in 1911 to Clara Wood’s life.  Then somehow ends up in Taryn Michaels’ life on Sept. 11 in
New York City. Clara’s and Taryn’s stories are so enchanting and heart breaking.  This is truly an amazing story.
I loved it and give it *****/5 stars.
#unreadshelfproject2018







The Glass Castle is another book that I read this month that left me speechless.  
WOW! This is an eye opening story. It made me think about why people make the choices they make.  
When I see a homeless person I make a lot of assumptions, but this book reminded me that everyone
had a story and reasons for what they do.  It reminded me that I need to listen to people first instead of
judging and asking if and how I can help. This is a *****/5 star book. #unreadshelfproject2018















No comments: