Thursday, January 31, 2019

January 2019 Reading Log



The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid was a wonderful story to kick of the
New Year with.  I have been wanting to read this book for some time and I decided to start the year
with it.  This book just flows beautifully. There are parts that jump from present time to the past
however it feels natural and smooth.  The story has so much interesting content and twists and turns
in it that it’s hard to put the book down. Evelyn and her husbands and the love of her life will
surprise you.  Right up to the very end when Monica, the reporter, puts all the pieces together and
struggles with her decisions. This book deals with so many themes, fame, fortune, romance, love,
driving under the influence, right to live, and what constitutes a relationship/marriage. This is a five
star book.
#unreadshelfproject2019  #unreadbotmchallenge
  • A Book I’ve Been Meaning to Read  #MMDchallenge2019


Number the Stars by Lois Lowry is the Newbery Winner for 1990 and although this is my second
time reading it, I really did not remember the details of this book.  I am glad I took the time to reread
the story. The story takes place in Copenhagen, Denmark during the Nazi occupation. Lowry
writes about two little friends, Annemarie and Ellie whose lives have two different fates based on
religion.  The story focuses on Annemarie as she learns how her family is helping the neighbors, The
Rosens, survive. She also learns more about herself and what it means to be brave.
#battleofthebooks2018 #middlegradebooks

The Mysterious Affair at Styles is Agatha Christie first novel, she wrote it on a dare from her sister.
 To be honest the book reminded me of the game Clue. It felt like in one chapter all the clues lead
to one person but then the next chapter all the clues lead to another person.  But like all good
mysteries you have to put each clue together and start to eliminate suspects. The story is told from
the point of view of the character Hasting who was invited to recuperate after an injury during WWI.
 When the Mistress of the house in murdered, everyone is a suspect. Hastings asks his friend
Poirot, an ex Belgium detective to help him solve the case. I watch a lot of NCIS and the case
always boils down to who stands to inherit the most and this mystery was no different.
 #queensofmystery


A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza was my favorite book of the month so far.  Thank you
#aplaceforgalsandbookpals buddy read for encouraging me to read this book.  It is a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
star book. I just loved the characters and the family dynamics. I didn’t realize it until the last
chapter but Rafiq was my favorite character.  The story reminds you that there is always more than
one way to look at a situation. There are always many factors that influence decisions.

“Be thoughtful and make things nice for your husband or wife….it’s a two way street.”  

George and Barbara Bush: A Great American Love Story by Ellie LaBlond Sosa and Kelly Anne Chase
was a wonderful short story about an amazing couple.  This was their story from their first meeting through
their courtship and throughout their marriage.  Their great-grand-daughters (the authors) have quotes from the
Bush’s letters they wrote to each other and from interviews that add great personal details to their story.   Both
Barbara and George were very down to earth people and very much in love with each other. The book shows
Barbara’s love and support for George as he ran for office. And even in the face of disappointment they held
their heads high and moved on to the next thing with grace and dignity.   This is a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star read.
#HBTB2019reads (biography)
 #MMDchallenge2019
  • A book about a topic that fascinates you.  


You may be ignorant...but you are kind,  and kindness is the most underrated of all human
qualities.”  

Midnight Magic by Avi, as with most of these Battle of the Books, was a book outside my comfort
zone.  I would not have picked this book on my own. However, what I liked about the story was the
character Magnus.  No matter what happened to Mangus or how people treated Mangus, he replied
with kindness and respect. To me that is a great lesson to teach kids as they read the book.  
#battleofthebooks2018  #HBTB2019reads (written in 1950 - 1999)



“I am just a tiny person in Africa, but there is a place for me, and for everybody, to sit down on this
earth and touch it and call it their own.”

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith is the story about Precious
Ramotswe  who sets up the No.1 lady detective agency in Botswana, Africa.   The story starts out
telling her father’s story and then moves into her story.  When her father passes away he leaves her
some money, well enough money to buy her own home and start her detective agency.  Throughout
the book she has several small cases to solve. What stands out the most about the book to me is the
little bit that the Botswana people need to live.    
#HBTB2019reads  (written in 2000-2010)



“Sometimes what you’re most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.”
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed is a book about an amazing young girl who sets out on a courageous
 adventure of a lifetime. She hiked the Pacific Crest Trail of 1,000 miles from the Mojave Desert
through California, Oregon and Washington State.  After her mother passed away, family fell apart
and her marriage fell apart. She was lost drinking and taking drugs so she decided to hike the PCT
on her own.   She learned a lot about herself on this journey, From day one she had to deal with
unbelievable physical pain, unpredictable people, and unknown elements, Through it all she gained
some wonderful friends and developed a healthy sense of who she was as a person and woman.  

Now I don’t know about you but there is no way I could survive this kind of journey.  I am not cut out
for the outdoors. I could handle drinking water and hot tea, but I couldn't live without my granola
bars and not to mention my cell phone.    
 #HBTB2019reads (one-word title)



“We can believe this promise:  In all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have
been called according to his purpose"
Anxious for Nothing,  by Max Lucado, was my spiritual reading for the month.
This statement from the book sounds like me, “Anxiety takes our breath, ….takes our sleep, our
energy, our well being….blood pressure rises, headaches…..Anxiety ain’t fun”  Max quotes the
Bible, “Be anxious for nothing” Phil. 4:6 and as I read through the book there were so many
passages that spoke to me. I typed up several passages to put in my calendar book to remind
myself throughout the year to “put everything in prayer…..and thanksgiving.”  I have been doing that
throughout the month and it has helped a bit.
#unreadshelfproject2019   #HBTB2019reads (Christian Living)


I am enjoying my “snow day” finishing the book Miracles on Maple Hill #battleofthebooks2018 and spring
cleaning my kitchen. I am enjoying the story so far. It is very uplifting. It is told from a young girl’s point of view
about the struggles her family is facing now that Daddy is home from the war.
 #battleofthebooks2018  #HBTB2019reads (Children’s book)

“Don’t waste your energy on the hate. That will kill you sure as anything. Focus on keeping your strength.
You’re resourceful. Find a way to outsmart them.”
Luckily me I had several extra days off this week because of the extreme cold weather.   I curled up
on my sofa and read, Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly, this is truly an amazing book.  I could not put
the book down. It is based on the real-life socialite,Caroline Ferriday,  of New York who worked to
helped others throughout WWII and then survivors of concentration camps.  Just Caroline’s story is
amazing. She is an inspiration for all of us to give selflessly. However, there are more characters in
the book.    Herta Oberheuser is another real person from German history who worked as a doctor
at Ravensbruck, the women’s concentration camp where medical experiments were conducted.
 Finally, there is Kasia and Zuzanna, two polish teenage sisters who are arrested for their role in the
underground resistance and sent to Ravensbruck Concentration Camp, who are fictional characters.
 However, their story is based on the real survivors known as the Rabbits. Each chapter tells the
story of the war from a different women's point of view. I loved this 5 star story. I am so glad I joined
the buddy read with #LilacBuddiesRead started by @buzzedaboutbooks.  Thanks for giving me the
nudge I needed to read this book.
#unreadshelfproject2019   #HBTB2019reads (two-word title)

No comments: