Saturday, June 6, 2020

May 2020 Reading Log




















Fiction
Big Lies in A Small Town ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Check Me Out. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Dear Edward. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Joy Luck Club  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Last Letter from Juliet. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Patron Saint of Liars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Pride and Prejudice. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Simplicity of Cider. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Tending Roses. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Nonfiction
The Gift of an Ordinary Day ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Seeking Slow. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Simply Living Well ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
FODMAP Friendly ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Middle Grade
The Westing Game ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Willoughbys ⭐️⭐️⭐️

I’m always amazed at the end of the month at the wonderful books I read.  It is so hard to pick my favorite
book this month.  Of course Pride and Prejudice is an amazing book and it will always be my favorite
Jane Austen book.  I picked up on so many different things on this reread that I missed the first time through.
  I really enjoyed The Last Letter from Juliet, it was such an enchanting story.  The language just flowed and
it was such a beautiful story.  But The Joy Luck Club really got me thinking about the bonds we share with
our mothers and daughters.  This relationship is such an emotional rollercoaster on both ends.  You have
so much invested in both relationships.    It really hit home with me.  

I need your advice, I want to change my username to reflect what this account is all about.   I am thinking
of several names:   Reading in Wisconsin, Sue’s Secret Garden of Books, or The Very Busy Reader.
  Which one do you like?




Book 66
Seeking Slow Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day
By: Melanie Barnes
Genre:  Nonfiction

I’m such a sucker for beautiful book covers and books promising a slower simpler life.   This book is just
that type of a book.  Luckily I was able to find it on Hoopla because I really don’t need to buy any more
books about a simple life.  There is no way I am ever going to move to a cozy cottage and plant a large
garden, can my own food and raise chickens.   My husband and I are city folks.   We love to bike to the
farmers market each week. 
.
Three thoughts did stick with me as I read this book. First,  I really need to take baby steps and work
towards a healthy relationship with food.   Second, I’ve been writing this on my goal list for the last ten
years and getting nowhere……I need to complete the boys photo books.   Third,  I need to buy less and
choose well.   
.
If some of these thoughts resonate with you, you may enjoy this book as well.  




Book 67
The Simplicity of Cider
By:  Amy E. Reichert
Genre:  Fiction

I read The Simplicity of Cider for the MMD Reading Challenge, a book with a setting near you.  The book
is set in Door County, WI, which is one of our favorite vacation spots.  It is about two hours from our house,
so it is a nice weekend getaway.  My husband and I love stopping at the wineries.   Apple cider tastes
delicious, but I have to be honest.  My favorite apple cider is the warm caramel apple cider at Starbucks.
  
This book is about a young woman, Sanna Lund and her father, who own an apple orchard in Door County.
  They live a simple life and make cider.   They have some financial problems and are contemplating selling
the property.  Sanna does not want to sell because creating apple cider is all she knows, but her father is
getting older and struggling to take care of the orchard.  Her brother sees selling the land as a solution to
their father’s problems. 

Isaac and his son, Bass, are trying to forget their troubles in California.  Isaac wants his son to have one
more carefree summer with adventure and fun.   They come to Door County and find a job helping out in
the apple orchard.   

When Sanna’s father is hurt, life on the peaceful apple orchard is turned upside down.  Sanna and Isaac
have to work closely together to save the orchard.  However, not everyone wants Sanna to succeed,
someone is sabotaging the orchard.  Luckly, Bass and Isaac are able to work through the problem. 
This is a cute and sweet  ⭐️⭐️⭐️ star story.  





Book 68
Check Me Out
By:  Becca Wilhite
Genre:  Fiction
.
I was super excited to find a #booksaboutbooks at the thrift store way back when we were allowed
to go out and shop.   I put it on my bookshelf and it sat there for almost a year.  However, at the
beginning of the year, I added, Check Me Out to my #unreadshelf project list.  My first impression
of the book is it could be a YA book just based on the romance, it seemed high schoolish.  
Greta is passionate about her job at the library. She has worked there since she was 15 years old
and she just loves working with the people and the books.   Greta has had the same best friend
since grade school as well, Will.  He knows her better than anyone.   
Will sets up Greta with Mac, his cousin, who is absolutely gorgeous.  He quotes poetry and sends
Greta fantastic text messages.  However in person, something seems off. 
Greta is working hard to save the library.  She is arranging all kinds of events to promote
community awareness to save the library.   However, Mac doesn’t seem interested in her ideas.

Greta slowly realizes that when she wants to share something Will is the person she shares with.

I enjoyed this cute and fun story and gave it ⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars. 



Book 69
Tending Roses
By:  Lisa Wingate
Genre:  Fiction

“The secret to a happy life is not in getting what you want. It is in learning to want what you get.”
L. Wingate. 

I was first introduced to the author Lisa Wingate when I read her book, Before We Were Yours, which
I just loved.   I have picked up several other books by her but none have even come close to Before
We Were Yours.  However, I really enjoyed Tending Roses.  

This book tells the story of Kate Bowmen’s family and their struggle as they deal with their aging
mother/grandmother.  Kate and her husband Ben are overwhelmed with bills and responsibility. 
However as they spend the weeks leading up to Christmas with Grandma Rose and volunteering at her
church. As they do this, they begin to see the value of a slower more family centered life.  I loved the
stories Grandma Rose wrote in her handmade journal.   All of her stories are thoughtful and meaningful.
  This is a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star story.  I highly recommend this character driven story if you are looking for a
loving family centered story.  
.


Book 70
Dear Edward
By:  Ann Napolitano
Genre:  Fiction

I don’t know what made me pick Dear Edward from the BOTM because I don’t like to read books
about plane crashes. I’m such a nervous wreak on a plane to begin with, so the last thing I need in
my life is a story to think about while I’m flying.  

However, this book was so much more.  This book is about a young boy who has to deal with so
much, being the only survivor of a plane crash, losing his parents, losing his brother, losing the life
he knew.  Now Edward has the weight of all the families and their hopes and wishes on his shoulders.
   
This book has so many emotions, not only Edward’s but all the people around him, who love him and
all the people around him.  This is a wonderful ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star story. 


Book 71
The Willoughbys
By:  Lois Lowry
Genre:  Middle Grade/Humorous

I am a huge fan of the book The Giver so when The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry I thought I would give
it a read.  Oh Boy, was I surprised because this book was completely different from The Giver.  It was
humorous in a slapstick funny way.  I know the third and fourth graders are going to love reading this
book in guided reading groups.  There is a lot of vocabulary to work with and even lots of weird social
issues to discuss.  However, the humor in the book will keep the kids reading and laughing.
  
The story is about two parents, four children, a nanny, a rich man and his wife and son, and an orphan.
Through all this craziness the parents are unfit to be parents and run off.  The nanny steps up and takes
care of the children.  The rich man adopts the orphan and his son comes home.  Now in between all of
this are some hilarious adventures that you will have to read.  



Book 72
Pride and Prejudice 
By:  Jane Austen
Genre:  Fiction

I am finally getting back to participating in @nonsense.and.sensibility #janeawesomewednesday.
  Just like everyone else my life has been a little bit crazy and I don’t seem to have a regular posting
schedule now, not to mention getting organized to plan something ahead of time.  However, I am
trying to get some type of daily/weekly routine together.  All that to say, I’ll try to participate more!!!

Anyways, I did participate this month with @austengram with a buddyread of Pride and Prejudice
It was interesting to reread the book.  There were so many things you catch in a second reading that
you may have missed or forgot from the first time you read the book.  The one thing that stood out to
me was the humor in the book.  Also, I think the reason why I like the character Darcy so much is the
way he changes throughout the book.  At the beginning of the book, he appears to be so arrogant.  By
the end of the book he has really become quite humble and instrumental in helping Jane’s family without
any expectations. 


Book 73
The Gift of an Ordinary Day
By:  Katrina Kenison
Genre:  Nonfiction/Memoir

I don’t know where I ran across this book, however I was excited when I saw it.   Back in 2013 when
I read Katrina Kenison's book, Mitten Strings for God,  is when I first began my search for a simplistic
life.  I have yet to achieve this “simplistic life” that people talk and write about however,  I keep buying
books about it and continue to read and dream about it.  

This memoir chronicles Katrina's thoughts and decisions and she begins her midlife years.  Her boys
are moving on to high school and college and she writes about her feelings as her role of mother
changes more into advisor/cheerleader.  She writes about moving from the city to the country and
how that affects her and her family.  

Once again, Katrina’s writing brought a great sense of peace and quiet to my thoughts each night. 
I loved reading this book before I went to bed because it calmed me down and helped me find rest
in my soul.  

I posted more of my thoughts on my blog here.
.


Book 74
The Last Letter From Juliet 
By:  Melanie Hudson
Genre:  Historical Fiction

“The most beautiful woman in the world is the one with the most joy in her heart.”  

This is a beautiful historical fiction story told in two timelines.  The story of a young Juliet who is a
fearless flyer during WWII who marries her best friend's brother.  Unfortunately she is in love with
someone else.   It’s a wonderful story of sacrifice and love.    The modern day story is about Katherine,
who still misses her husband.  She goes to visit a friend for Christmas and instead meets lots of new
friends.  She finds Juliet’s journal and begins to read it. Then she learns Juliet is still alive.  

This book was just a beautiful mesmerizing book.   I spent the whole day listening to it as I worked in
the garden and painted rocks for the garden.  I just couldn’t stop.   I was completely captivated by
Juliet’s story.   A definite ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star book for me. 







Book 75
The Westing Game
By:  Ellen Raskin
Genre:  Middle Grade. Mystery. Fiction

The Westing Game has been on my tbr list for at least three years now.   A middle school math
teacher recommended it to me one day in the teacher lounge.  I found the book at Goodwill a while
back and it has been on my book stack ever since.  I enjoyed reading this corky mystery book, although
I struggled with the audio version and switched to the actual book.  There were too many characters to
keep straight and I kept getting confused.   I can see why this book appeals to young readers.  It has
humor and lots of silly things happening in it.  I highly recommend it and here is a clue as you read and
try to solve the mystery: Pay attention to the directions.  




Book 76
Big Lies in a Small Town
By: Diane Chamberlain
Genre:  Fiction

Once again I found myself in a book with dual timelines.  Both stories take place in a small town in
North Carolina.  Anna’s story takes place in about 1940.  When women were expected to get married
and stay at home and raise a family.  Anna is just out of Art school and she wins a national contest to
paint a mural for the Post Office in Edenton, NC.  Anna is very excited and nervous as she sets out on
her adventure. At first Edenton was skeptical of Anna but slowly she won them over until they realized
she was letting a black boy help her.  Then something goes drastically wrong.  

Just forward to 2017, Morgan, an art student, who never finished college, has just been released early
from jail to a lady, Lisa, who she doesn’t even know.  However there are some conditions she must meet. 
She must restore a mural by Anna Dale by August 5.  The mural must be ready for the opening of a new
art gallery.   The problem is Morgan knows how to paint but she knows nothing about restoring art. 
Morgan learns so much through this process.  She learns more about art, however she learns more
about herself as a person and love and family.  




Book 77
Simply Living Well
By:  Julia Watkins
Genre:  Nonfiction

I don’t know what attracts me to these types of books but I love reading about a simplistic life. 
However, I just don’t know how to get myself there.  Especially now when we can not even take
our own bags to the grocery store. 

This book is just filled with wonderful ideas to make your own cleaning supplies, soap, and even
natural bug spray.  I think the recipes I am most interested in are: The Lemon-Ginger tea, which
is used to improve digestion and migraines, The homemade Fabric Softener, so I am not wasting
those sheets everyday, and the dried apple rings, so I don’t have to buy the processed ones at the
grocery store.  

There are so many great ideas in this book.  If you are concerned about the environment and are
looking for little things that you can do to help, this is a good book for you to read.    




Book 78
FODMAP Friendly
By:  Georgia McDermott
Genre:  Nonfiction Cookbook

I received the e-book FODMAP Friendly, by Georgia McDermott,  from @Netgalley in exchange
for my honest review.  (Publish Date:  Sept. 29, 2020  @theexperiment)


If you follow my blog you may know that I occasionally post recipes that are Gluten-Free/Nut Free,
but what you may not know is that my food sensitivities go beyond just gluten and nuts.  I also have
to watch out for foods that are dairy-free, onion free, garlic free and there are a whole list of other foods
I just need to avoid.  We sometimes joke there are only nine foods that are safe for me to eat.  

When I joined NetGalley this week, I was searching for a book to read and FODMAP Friendly,
by Georgia Mc Dermott,  caught my eye.   

As I read through FODMAP Friendly, several things jumped out at me.  First, the photos and the
food in the book are beautiful.  I really like a photo of each recipe that the author is writing about.  I also
enjoyed the introduction paragraph about the recipe, the author writes something personal about the
recipe in conjunction with her family.  That made the book more personal to me.  

 The recipes look easy to read and follow.    There were several basic recipes I can not wait to try: 
A Veggie Stock,  A Vegan Worcestershire Sauce,  Easy Mayo and Pesto.  These are some basics
that are needed in so many recipes that a person with food sensitivities can not just go out and buy. 
So having these are nothing short of a miracle to me.   There are other great recipes as well.   





Book 79
The Patron Saint of Liars
By:  Ann Patchett
Genre:  Fiction

I picked The Patron Saint of Liars for my #unreadshelf2020 challenge (a backlist title by an author
with a newer book out) this month.  I have read several books by  Ann Pachett and really enjoyed
them.  My favorite is of course, The Dutch House, followed by Bel Canto and then I would say The
Patron Saint of Liars and the Commonwealth.     
.
The Patron Saint of Liars is the story of Rose who goes to a home for unwed mothers.   Rose is married
but does not want her child nor does she want to be in her marriage.   Rose is an interesting character.
  I found her hard to like.   On one hand she devotes her whole life to helping and caring for Sister
Evangeline for nothing in return.  She cooks three meals a day for the women at the home in return
for a sense of purpose.  She stands up for her friends and other girls in the home. 
.
However, when it comes to her own family she is cold and thoughtless.   She leaves her first husband
for no reason and with warning.   She remarries, even though she is already married.   She keeps her
baby, yet she doesn’t raise it or care for it.  When her second husband tries to communicate with her,
she shuts him down and treats him poorly.    When the people closest to her ask her not to do
something, she just does it anyway without a thought or care about their feelings.    
.

It is an interesting story.  I felt all along Rose’s lies would catch up with her but the ending felt
unfinished to me.  I wanted Rose to be more accountable for her actions.  





Book 80
The Joy Luck Club
By:  Amy Tan
Genre:  Fiction

My last book of the month is The Joy Luck Club.  I read this book as part of The Great PBS Read.
  When the list came out I was disappointed I had not read more of the books.  So I am challenging
myself to read one of the titles each month.  I don’t know how I got so lucky because every book I
picked this year has been amazing.  All have been 5 star read  for me and some of the titles have
been outside my normal genres.  

Anyways, The Joy Luck Club was an amazing story about four mothers and their daughters.   
The mothers, who just immigrated to San Francisco, start the Joy Luck club as a way to play mahjong,
eat, and talk together.   Tan tells the story of each mother and then of the daughter.  Then she writes
the struggles they have together.  It is a wonderful story of family struggles and learning to accept the
old way of life with the new. 

No comments: