Saturday, June 13, 2020

Book Review: The Midwest Native Plant Primer

Book Review
Thank you @NetGalley and @timberpress for the book The Midwest Native Plant Primer By Alan Branhagen. 

This is my favorite time of summer.  I like to get outside and plant new plants and work on my vegetable garden.
  I love looking out my kitchen window at my butterfly garden and watch for butterflies as I wash the dishes. 
However, creating the butterfly garden has been a bit of a challenge for me.  Each year I spend A LOT of money
on perennials that don’t seem to grow again the following year.  

I was excited to see this book in the Netgalley choices.  The description caught my eye right away, “
Choose plants native to our Midwest region.  The rewards will benefit you, your yard, and environment--from
reducing maintenance tasks to attracting earth-friendly pollinators such as native birds, butterflies, and bees.”  

Yes! Yes!  That is exactly what I am trying to do in my little butterfly garden.  As I read through the book I read
page after page of great suggestions.  There are so many plants that grow great in the Midwest however you
just need to know which ones.  What I loved about this book is that it had something for every type  of gardener. 
If you are looking to create a rock garden or more of a water garden, there are suggestions for that.  If you want
more of a prairie garden or my favorite butterfly garden it is all in this book.  The photos are beautiful and there is
a great section of the descriptions of all the plants and where and how to best grow them. 

If you love gardening and live in the Midwest I highly recommend this book for you.  It comes out July 21, 2020
and I know I will be ordering one for myself.  I definitely want a hard copy of the book on my bookshelf for easy
reference. 

No comments: