Tuesday, May 4, 2021

April Reading Log


I read twelve books this month.  My biggest accomplishment was finishing The Pillars of the Earth.  It was a long book and I really had to focus on my reading goals each week.  My favorite book this month was the Four Winds by Kristin Hannah.  Reading about an unfamiliar period in American History was interesting to me.  


Another accomplishment for me is that I only purchased four books and read eight of the books from my shelves so my unread total is down to 253 books.  I’m slowly picking away at that number.  The key for me is not buying anymore books, which is hard when I am in so many buddyreads.  I try my best to use the library but if I cannot get them at the library then I have to buy them.  


Fiction

Four Winds ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Lost Apothecary ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Pillars of the Earth  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Secret Keeper ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Things We Do For Love ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Writers & Lovers ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Middle Grade

Class Act ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A Girl, A Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

From the Desk of Zoe Washington ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Nonfiction 

Bird by Bird ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Greenlights  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Praying with Jane ⭐️⭐️⭐️








Book 52

Greenlights

By:  Matthew McConaughey

Genre:  Nonfiction/ Memoir


This little flower is the first sign of spring in our yard and ever since it popped up flowers and plants started sprouting everywhere.  Today the temperature got up to 77 degrees.  We went for a bike ride and I enjoyed seeing all the daffodils blooming in everyone’s yards.   I need to plant more daffodils in Fall so I have more in my yard next year.  


My first book for April is Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey.  To be honest when I started this book I was thinking, Do I really need to read a book by a celebrity? However, @books2blocks recommended the book, so I continued on.  I was surprised by Matthew’s down to earth attitude.  He is not afraid of doing hard work to make his dreams work.  I was surprised that he kept a journal for most of his life and he was very reflective.  He is a wonderful storyteller and that made his book enjoyable to read. I give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.   


Book 53

From the Desk of Zoe Washington 

By:  Janae Marks

Genre:  Realistic Fiction 


I received this beautiful bouquet of flowers for Easter from my son and his family.   I love real flowers.   My grandson was very proud of the flowers.  He picked it because it has two big pink flowers. 


I read From the Desk of Zoe Washington after reading a review by @amandathebookishlibrarian.  This is a wonderful story about a young girl who accidentally finds a letter from her biological father that she never met.  He is in prison for murder.  However, he claims he is innocent.  


Now Zoe is trying to determine what the truth is. How does she go about doing this?  How does she know he is really innocent?  This book has a lot going on that can lead to discussions on: racism, friendships, parent/child relationships, working toward a dream and lying to adults.  I really enjoyed this book and gave it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.  


 


Book 54

The Four Winds 

By:  Kristin Hannah

Genre:  Historical Fiction 


I just finished The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and after bragging to my friend @cherylharvey that I have made it through most of the book without tears, I had tears streaming down my face at the end.   


This story was just so beautiful.  My heart broke for Elsa as she struggled with all the major relationships in her life.  The feeling of being unloved can be so lonely.   I thought she powered through it with grace.  


I didn’t know anything about this time period in American History so I was fascinated by the story and how the poor American people were treated.  


I cannot wait to discuss this book with my book club. We are actually going to meet at an outdoor restaurant this month.  I am also discussing this book with #readersacrossoceans.  


If you have not read this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star book yet, I highly recommend you listen to the audiobook.  @justjuliawhelan did a fabulous job narrating the book.  

 




Book 55

The Lost Apothecary 

By: Sarah Penner

Genre: Historical Fiction 


The Lost Apothecary is exactly why I love book clubs.  Book clubs challenge you to read books you think are not for you.  However, you may be wrong.  That is what happened with The Lost Apothecary.  The reviews I was reading didn’t appeal to me.  It sounded almost like witchcraft.  But Rovers at @thereadroversbookclub picked this book for the April selection so I went with it and I loved it.  So what do I love:

⭐️The dual timeline worked well for me.  I wanted to read one more chapter of Nellie’s story or Caroline’s story.  Both stories had me on the edge of my seat.  

⭐️The story was not about witchcraft at all, it was an amazing story of digging into historical facts and researching. 

⭐️Caroline’s story is about betrayal, moving on, and finding yourself or redefining yourself after your husband blows up your marriage of ten years.  

⭐️Nellie’s story is about friendship, legacy and trying to do the right thing for women in a male dominated world.   

⭐️The story contains, heartbreak, mystery, murder, and a lot suspense.  


I listened to the audiobook and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I highly recommend this book to those who love historical fiction with a bit of mystery.  





  




Book 56

Bird by Bird

By:  Anne Lamott

Genre:  Nonfiction


Once again, I don’t think this is a book I would have found on my own.  I read this book with the #mmdbookclub.  If you are an inspiring writer this is the book for you.  It has a lot of practical advice for approaching writing.  However, it also has a lot of life advice as well.  Here are a few quotes that spoke to me:

“Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird.”

This is good advice for any project you take one.  Just take it one step at a time.   


“If you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans.”

This is so true.   You never know what life has in store for you.  You can plan and prepare and dream all you want but be prepared for lots of bumps along the way.  


“Don't look at your feet to see if you are doing it right. Just dance.”

I took this as just enjoy your life.  Don’t worry if things are perfect just live your life.  Get up and be present.  


“Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.”

This is so true.  I have learned so much about being present and grateful from reading.  






Book 57

A Girl, A Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon

By:  Karen Romano Young

Genre:  Fantasy 


I don’t remember who first recommended A Girl, A Raccoon and the Midnight Moonmiddle to me.  I think what appealed to me was that this story took place in a library in New York City.  


Pearl is in fifth grade and she has always been in the library.  Her mom is the librarian and Pearl has always gone to work with her mom.  Pearl loves books and she can recommend books to anyone.  But the library is old and the building is falling apart.  Pearl is on a mission to save the library.   


What I liked about the story:

⭐️It takes place in a library and the author refers to a lot of books.  

⭐️Pearl goes beyond her comfort zone to meet new friends and builds a community of friends to help save the library.   

⭐️The book shows a diverse group of people working together to solve a common problem.   

⭐️The author tackles issues such as bullying, homelessness,  poverty, literacy, kindness to animals and community building.  

What did not work for me:

🚫Reading and writing raccoons that only a few people could communicate with.  


However, I did find this a fun story to read.   


Book 58

Praying with Jane

By:  Rachel Dodge

Genre:  Nonfiction/Spiritual


I’m a huge Jane Austen fan.  When I saw this Praying with Jane come across from IG feed, I immediately ordered it. I started reading it at the beginning of Lent this year and like everything I set it aside.  However I dedicated some time this week to finish it.   


I didn’t realize that Jane Austen came from a religious family.   I found her prayers very interesting to read and reflect on.   I enjoyed the author’s comparisons to Jane’s novels and characters.  She even had notes from Jane’s sister.  


If you like to read daily reflections and you have read the Jane Austen books, you may enjoy this book.   It was an interesting way to pray.  




Book 59

Writers & Lovers

By:  Lily King

Genre:  Fiction 


Hello from Snowy Wisconsin.  The weather here today has been weird to say the least today.   It has snowed two separate times and the sun has come out in between and melted all the snow.    


I read Writers & Lovers with @annebogel and the #mmdbookclub.   It is a fictional look at the daily life of one struggling writer, Casey.   Who has appeared to hit rock bottom.   She has lost her job as a  waitress, she thinks she has cancer, she is being evicted from her moldy one room apartment and she has received eleven rejection letters about her novel.  Oh, and her mother passed away six months ago unexpectedly on a vacation.  Casey is overwhelmed and hanging on by a thread.   


Writing is not an easy venture.  You have to really put your heart and soul out there for everyone to see and judge.   I only occasionally write my opinion of books and that is hard for me.  I by no means consider myself a writer.  I think Lily King did a great job depicting the struggles some writers face as they struggle to balance life and writing.   I give the book ⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ stars.  




Book 60

The Pillars of the Earth

By: Ken Follett

Genre:  Historical Fiction 


I’M FINALLY DONE!!!!! If you have been following my updates on The Pillars of the Earth, I’ve been reading 100 pages a week throughout March and April and I FINALLY finished.  Yes I do feel I deserve a 🥇.    This book was long.  Let me give you the short run down of this book.  


It takes place during medieval ages in England.  The monks want to build a cathedral.  There is a lot of backstabbing within the church and village.    Villages are burned down, many women are raped, many people are killed, a baby is abandoned and food is very scarce.   We are not sure who the king is and the Earl is very  nasty.   


I read this book because it is my goal to read all the books on the #greatreadpbs list.  What did I learn from this book?   Life is not perfect yet, but it is sure better than the medieval times.  I know many of you told me this is your favorite book and it is a good book.  Lots of historical references.  I am going to give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars because it is very violent.  



Book 61

Class Act

By: Jerry Craft

Genre:  Middle Grade/Graphic Novel


Class Act is the extra credit read for our #middlegradereadsbookclub.  We read New Kid back in January and now we read the sequel.  Class Act focuses on the character Drew, Jordan Bank’s friend and his struggles to fit in as a scholarship student at the elite school in the suburbs of New York City.  


I don’t know if it is my short attention span lately but I am really enjoying my middle grade books.  



Book 62

The Things We Do For Love

By: Kristin Hannah 

Genre:  Women’s Fiction 


I’m behind on my book posts.  I was gone on vacation with my husband, son, daughter-in-law and four year old grandson.  I planned on doing some relaxing and reading.  Haha.  The joke was on me.  I should have known better because the days I watch my grandson I get very little reading done.  That boy goes 100 miles an hour and when he does decide to rest, so do I.   


I did finish the the book, The Things You Do for Love, for the #KHbookclub the night before we left.   However I didn’t have a moment to post about it.  I read this book with @Shannon and it was a great group of people to discuss the book with.  


I enjoyed this book and was pleasantly surprised by the ending.  I was happy that Angie and Lauren were able to keep their strong friendship together.   I was also happy that Angie and her husband worked out their differences.  It made this book a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star read for me.   





Book 63

The Secret Keeper

By: Kate Morton

Genre:  Women’s Fiction 


The Secret Keeper is my last book for April and it was another long one.  It was another one of the dual timeline books telling the story of Laurel as she looks back over her life and her mother’s.   At sixteen years old,  Laurel witnessed her mother murdered someone.  Now Laurel wants to know why.  The Secret Keeper is the story of Laurel searching for the secret her mother kept all these years.  What was her mother’s life like before she met Laurel’s father?   It was an interesting ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ mystery/romance story. 


No comments: