Thursday, April 22, 2021

March Reading Log

 

It seems to me that my Middle Grade books have been phenomenal this month.  They have really made more of an impact on my thoughts  than some of my adult books.  Breadwinner and Esperanza Rising really sat in my mind for a long time.  As for adult books Homefront by Kristin Hannah was my favorite. Although I found  the character Joline to be somewhat frustrating, my heart broke for her.  


Fiction

Crimes of a Book Club ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Home Front ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Paris Hours ⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Sanatorium  ⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Star Crossed Sisters of Tuscany  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Their Eyes Are Watching God ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Transcendent Kingdom ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Tuscan Child ⭐️⭐️⭐️




Middle Grade

Breadwinner  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Esperanza Rising ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Front Desk ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Jayla Jumps In ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

One Time ⭐️⭐️⭐️


Nonfiction 

Dust Tracks on the Road ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Gardening Hacks ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Laundry Loves ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Little Free Library Book  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Tables & Spreads ⭐️⭐️⭐️



Book 34

Transcendent Kingdom 

By:  Yaa Gyasi

Genre:  Women’s Fiction


March means the tulips are back in the stores.   Tulips are one of my favorite flowers.  Get ready for lots of pictures

with tulips this month because I plan on buying tulips every week at the grocery store.  


I just want to thank @shawntaye1 for recommending Transcendent Kingdom.  It is absolutely beautiful.

  I just want to hug Gifty.  Despite all the difficulties in her life, she continues to challenge herself and create a life

for herself where she is content.  In the book TK, Gifty is looking back on her life, raised by her mother who

struggles with depression and is very religious.  Gifty tells the story of her older brother who struggled and lost his

fight with a drug addiction.  Throughout it all, Gifty questions everything from religion to science and this inquisitive

nature leads her into a career in neuroscience.  Here she conducts experiments on mice to learn more about the

human brain.  What I liked about this book was Gifty’s ability to rise to the top and study at the best colleges.  She

didn’t have all the money and privilege that other students had but she had the brains and the determination to do

better for herself.  This is a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star book.  What a great way to start out the month of March.  


CW: drug addiction, suicide, depression



Book 35πŸ“–

The Breadwinner

By: Deborah Ellis

Genre: Middle Grade/Historical Fiction


I just finished reading The Breadwinner for the Battle of the Books and all I can say is WOW!!!

This is a book for Middle Grade readers and it is soooooo good. 


Parvana is an eleven year old girl living in Kabul, Afghanistan.  The Taliban has taken over her city for the past

year.  “The Taliban had ordered all the girls and women in Afghanistan to stay inside their homes.  They even

forbade girls to go to school.”  Women could no longer work or go shopping for food.  If a woman went out she

would have to cover her face and be with a man.  Parvana’s house has been bombed and now her family lives

together in one small room.  When Parvana’s father is arrested, Parvana is forced to dress like a boy and do her

father’s job so her family will have money.  This is such an amazing story of what a young girl must do for her family

even though she doesn’t really want to.  My heart just broke for this little girl.  I could not imagine living under these

conditions.  Yet this is how some girls/women are forced to live.  This is the first book in the series and I will be

ordering the rest.  I highly recommend reading this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ story with all young girls so that they understand

that living the way we do in America with rights and freedom and the ability to vote is a blessing.



Book 36🎧

The Star Crossed Sisters of Tuscany 

By:  Lori Nelson Spielman

Genre:  Fiction 


I read this book with my teacher/friend book club.  We have continued our book club through Zoom and it is so

nice to see my friends from work each month now that we are retired.   Our selection for March is, The Star-Crossed

Sisters of Tuscany.   I really enjoyed this family drama.   The descriptions of Italy in this book were wonderful.  It was

my plan to go to Italy this summer but like everything it is on hold.   I did write down some of the places to visit

throughout the book.  


I enjoyed the story of the second-born Fontana cursed daughters and the girls traveling to Italy to break the curse. 

I enjoyed the love story of Poppy and Eric, it was so beautiful.   I liked that the main character, Emilia and her upbeat

attitude.  I laughed so much at the interactions between Lucy and Emilia, although they were cousins, the

conversations reminded me of my sister and I.    It was such a fun, loving family story, I give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.   






Book 37

Esperanza Rising

By:  Pam Munoz Ryan

Genre:  Historical Fiction 


Esperanza Rising is an amazing  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star story.  I am a huge fan of the author Pam Munoz Ryan. 

This is the fourth book I read by her.  I’ve read Echo, Becoming Naomi Leon and Riding Freedom.  I recommend

them all.  They are all excellent books.  


Esperanza Rising is the story of a young girl who lives a privileged life in Mexico until her father passes away. 

Then suddenly life as she knows changes and Esperanza and her mother flee to California and need to work

at a farm labor camp.  At the labor camp Esperanza learns the value of hard work and the importance of community.  




Book 38πŸ’»

Table & Spreads: A Go-To Guide for Beautiful Snacks, Intimate Gathering, and Inviting Guests

By:  Shelly Westerhausen Worcel with Wyatt Worcel

Genre:  Non-fiction, Cooking


Thank you to @NetGalley and @chroniclebooks for allowing me to preview Table & Spreads: A Go-To Guide for

Beautiful Snacks, Intimate Gathering, and Inviting Guests by Shelly Westerhausen Worcel with Wyatt Worcel.

@vegetarianventures


This book caught my eye because my daughter and I have recently become interested in putting together some

boards for appetizers for our last couple of get togethers.  I love scrolling through the ideas on IG.  My favorite

boards are the ones they put together for a theme.  


This is the perfect book for the person who loves to entertain small and large gatherings.  The first half of the

book is about planning and organizing for your gathering.  Everything you will need from color coordinating

flowers and napkins to stemware to providing appropriate background music this book has all the information

you need.  What I really liked about the book is the timeline for building the spread.  It is a step by step outline

to being prepared for your guests. The second half of the book takes some timelines with everything you need

from wine pairing to styling your board to practical suggestions and some amazing recipes.  There are some

wonderful everyday party ideas and Holiday ideas.  What I liked about this part of the book was the recipes. 

There are some new recipes that I have not seen before for dips.  The photography is beautiful and I liked the

layout of the book.  It is very easy to follow.   Tables & Spreads will be available May 4th, 2021.  



Book 39πŸ“–

One Time

By:  Sharon Creech

Genre:  Middle Grade/Realistic Fiction


“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”  Mary Oliver


I picked up the book One Time because @library.laura wrote she liked this book because “the teacher who

nurtures her students’ imaginations and taught them to write…....”  And I agree with Laura, as a former teacher

of young children, encouraging your young students to write is always a challenge.  I would have loved to see

Miss Lightstone’s classroom.  I thought the idea of having the front board filled with big words or phrases that the

kids found interesting from books was a great idea.  Then they used these words in their own writing.  Some of

the characters seemed a bit quirky but it added humor to the story.  Overall,  I enjoyed the story and gave it

⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.  It is a quick and easy #middlegrademarch read.   It has humor and a bit of a mystery in it.      



Book 40🎧

Crimes Against a Book Club

By:  Kathy Cooperman

Genre:  Women’s Fiction



Crimes Against A Book Club sounds like the perfect book for book lovers everywhere.   I’ve read some serious

books lately so I thought I would switch things up with a lighter read.  This humorous book is about two best friends,

Annie and Sarah who live in Southern California and need some money FAST.  Annie needs money for her son’s

extremely expensive therapy and Sarah quit her job  and needs money for IVF treatments.  Between these two

Harvard grads, they put their minds together and come up with a plan to sell face cream to the wealthy ladies in

Annie’s book club.  The plan is perfect until Annie decides to add an illegal ingredient to the cream without telling

Sarah. The book has some humorous characters sprinkled in. I loved Annie's first book club meeting. Most of the

ladies didn’t read the book.   I give this book 3 stars.  It was a bit slow at times but overall it was funny.   


Book 41

Their Eyes Were Watching God

By: Zora Neale Hurston

Genre:  Classic


The book, Their Eyes Were Watching God, was on my March TBR for two reasons.  1) It was the #mmdbookclub

pick, 2) It is one of the titles I picked to read from #greatreadpbs list.  So it was a double win for me.  I was able to

find the audiobook on Hoopla and I am glad I made that choice.  I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this story.  


The story is set in Eatonville, FL in the early 1930s. Janie Crawford retells her life story to her best friend, Phoeby

Watson.  She tells of her idyllic childhood as she was raised by her Nanny (grandmother.) Then like most women of

that time her Nanny arranged a marriage for her to a man much older than she was.   Things were fine until her

Nanny passed away, then the man became abusive.  She eventually runs away with a man (Jordy)  she meets on

the road one day and they move to Eatonville.   There she is expected to run the store and run social events for her

husband who has big dreams for himself.  After he passes away, Janie falls in love with a younger man, Tea Cake. 

He has some troubles of his own.   They create a new life together working in the bean fields until a big storm comes

and changes everything.   In the end Janie has this bit of wisdom to share with her best friend:  There are two things

that everyone must do for themselves.   They must go to God and they must live their own lives.   


This is ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ story of unconditional love, compassion and perseverance.  Janie is such a strong character

you can’t help but want things to turn out for her.  


Book 42 πŸ“±

Jayla Jumps In 

By: Joy Jones

Genre:  Middle Grade/ Realistic Fiction 


Thank you @just.another.chapter.and.tea for recommending Jayla Jumps In to our buddyread

#middlegradereadersbuddyread.  It was a great book to read about making time as a family to eat healthy and

exercise.  


The story is about an only child, Jayla, who finds out at the holidays that her mom and aunt know how to Double

Dutch.  Not only that, but her mom was a Double Dutch champion when she was in middle school.  Now, her mom

is suffering from high blood pressure and needs to change her eating habits and start exercise.  Jayla really wants to

learn how to double dutch and starts a club at school but she still needs her mother’s help.  


As Jayla continues to ask her family to help her learn how to jump, she forms special bonds with the different

members of her family.  Even her mom finds time to help Jayla and finds that she really misses jumping.  


What I liked about this story is that it shows that if a family works together a lot can be accomplished.  I also

like the positive message to eat healthy and exercise too.  I give this story  ⭐️⭐️⭐️  stars.  It was a fun and

entertaining story.  















Today is Epilepsy Awareness Day.  Our little grand-daughter has to deal with this disease every day. 

Despite her struggles she has a beautiful smile.   We are so proud of her daily efforts.  






Book 43🎧

Home Front

By:  Kristin Hannah

Genre:  Historical Fiction


WOW!!! Home Front by Kristin Hannah is another ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️  star book.  When you decide to read this

book make sure you have tissues by you or wear long sleeves because this book will tug at all your mommy,

wife and best friend emotions.  I just loved this book.  


Jolene and Michael have been married for 12 years and their life seems to be unraveling.  Michael is never around

and is breaking promises to Jolene and their two girls.  Just as Michael and Jolene have a fight and hurtful words

are spoken, Jolene, a soldier in the US reserves, is deployed.   

Now her husband has to raise the children on his own.  He has to be there after school, and make dinner and do

all the things a mother would do and continue with his law practice.  Away from her young children, Jolene tries to

put on a happy face and pretend everything is fine in Iraq. She doesn’t want her children to know how dangerous

her job really is.  When Jolene is shot down, Micheal and Jolene have to find the strength to fight for what really

matters…..their love and family. 


What I really liked about the book is that it showed both Jolene's and Michael’s struggle with being a military family. 

Kristin Hannah even showed how the children struggled at home and at school. It felt like an honest view of what

military families might face when a loved one is gone for months at a time.  


I’m really glad that @thebookclubmom encouraged me to read this book this month for the buddyread.  I’m really

looking forward to the discussion.

  





Book 44🎧

The Paris Hours

By:  Alex George

Genre:  Historical Fiction


I’m a little late with my St. Patrick Day post.  We didn’t do too much celebrating.  We did have a Reuben sandwich

for supper and mint custard for dessert.  We are not Irish.  However, with my red hair, I’ve been asked my whole life

if I am Irish.  


The Paris Hours is my first book by Alex George.  To be honest I’m not sure what my thoughts are.  First of all I

listened to this book and I wish I would have picked up the book and followed along.  The first part of the book I

felt like I was listening to short stories.  It wasn’t until halfway through the book that I started to make connections. 

By the end I was putting a few things together but not much.  The ending caught me off guard and it felt like a

cliffhanger.  It left me wanting more.  I had lots of questions.  Have you read this book?   What did you think?


After three days of thinking about what to write and still feeling confused I decided to give this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars. 

I liked a lot of the back stories but in the end I was very confused.  



Book 45πŸ“–

The Little Free Library Book

By:  Margaret Aldrich

Genre:  Non-fiction 


We are starting to draw out our plans to build our Little Free Library.  I started an IG page for it if you want to f

ollow along @theverybusylittlefreelibrary.   We are going to have the grandkids decorate it with TVH

caterpillar πŸ› and butterfly handprints.   I am super excited about it, my husband is on board but excitement

level is low because he has to do a lot of the work.   


If you are thinking of starting a library this book is a good place to start.  It has all kinds of ideas from building a

LFL to hosting your grand opening and then continuing to maintain it.     I had no idea how world wide LFL are,  i

t's amazing.   






Book 46🎧

Dust Tracks on the Road

By:  Zora Neale Hurston

Genre:  Non-fiction/Memoir


 

Thank you @annebogel and the #mmdbookclub for introducing me to the autobiography of Zora Neale Hurston,

Dust Tracks on the Road. I would never have found this book my own.  The book tells of Zora’s amazing life and her

thoughts and beliefs at the time just before WWII.  I learned many things about the struggles that Zora faced as an

African-American woman.  She had such an amazing drive to get herself educated.  She was a very courageous

woman and she had a good sense of humor as well.  This is a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star story.  





Book 47πŸ“±

Laundry Love:Finding Joy in a Common Chore

By: Patric Richardson

Genre:  Non-fiction 


I read Laundry Love: Finding Joy in A Common Chore on the recommendation of @annebogel.  She sang high praises in

one of her book talks.  I was lucky enough to get a preview copy on @Netgalley.  


The book is a nonfiction book with loads πŸ˜‚ of ideas to make your weekly or daily laundry chore more efficient and

enjoyable. I knew from the beginning of the book when I read this quote: “My idea of the ultimate in luxury is

sun-dried, fresh-smelling laundry taken right off the line--especially sheets and then sleeping in those sheets,” 

that I was going to enjoy this book.  There is nothing I enjoy more than fresh smelling sheets from the clothesline.

  I didn’t know if this book was going to tell me anything I didn’t already know after all I’ve been doing the laundry

for 37 years.   


However, Patric Richardson is a clothing expert. He majored in fashion design and runs a clothing store and

Laundry Camps. So he knows a bit about laundry himself.  His writing style is very casual, and it feels like you

were having a conversation with a best friend.  


There are so many great tips in the book and my favorite section is how to spot out every type of stain.  What I

really liked about this book was Patric’s attitude toward the laundry.  When you are doing the laundry for your

family you are showing them how much you care.  You care that they look their best and feel their best each

time they get dressed.   This is definitely a book you may want to give as a gift to someone who is just moving

out on their own AND add some tabs and notes so you don’t get calls about how to get stains out of the carpet.  


Thank you @NetGalley and @flatiron_books for allowing me to preview this wonderful book. 












Book 48πŸ“±

Gardening Hacks

By:  Jon VanZile

Genre:  Non-Fiction


Thank you @NetGalley and @adams_media for allowing me to preview the book, Gardening Hacks: 300+ Time

And Money Saving Hacks.  This book caught my eye because I just can’t wait to get back outside and plant

something.  I am always thinking of ways to improve my outdoor garden space  and my indoor plants.  

Gardening Hacks is for the gardener who likes to use every scrap available.    There are so many great ideas for

using recycled items and food  that you have around your house.   I really liked all the practical suggestions that

you can do to  fertilize your plants and keep pests away from your plants with simple things around the house.

This book will be available April 6, 2021.  


On a different note my new shelf came from Target  for my plants in my office.  I love how perfect it fits in my office.

  I think my plants will get more light and that corner of the room looks so nice.  




Book 49🎧

The Sanatorium 

By: Sarah Pearse

Genre: Mystery/Thriller 


I read The Sanatorium with @thereadroverbookclub in March.  I wasn’t sure I would make it through this book. 

The first couple chapters were creepy but afterwards it was a mystery with a lot of suspects.   I have to be honest

I only read this book during the day.  I was a little confused by the twist in the epilogue.  It didn’t line up with what I

remembered from the story.  I missed the book talk but luckily @thereadroverbookclub recorded it and I was able

to see it.  If you read the book and can help me with the twist at the end let me know.  



Book 50🎧

The Tuscan Child

By: Rhys Bowen

Genre: Historical Fiction 


The Tuscan Child is a book that sat on my unread shelf for a long time.   I purchased this book a few years back

because I wanted to go to Italy.  We still have not been able to go to Italy but I still have hope.  The Leaning Tower

of Pisa is on my bucket list.  Where would you go if you could?


Anyways I read The Tuscan Child, a historical fiction book, written in a dual timeline.   It is the story of Hugo Langley

and Sofia Bartoli during WWII.  Their love story is torn apart as the war comes to an end.  But thirty years later after

Hugo’s death his daughter, Joanna, goes back to the Italian village looking for answers to what happened to her

father. 


The little Italian village still has many secrets from the war that people do not want to share and are willing to kill to

keep them hidden.  Joanna slowly pieces together some of the answers she is looking for.  I give this book

⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.  I enjoyed hearing about the Italian cooking and the historical information of the German occupation.

  However, I felt there would or should have been more information for Joanna to go on than one short letter.   





Book 51🎧

Front Desk

By: Kelly Yang

Genre: Middle Grade / Realistic Fiction 


Front Desk is a reread for me.  I read this book back in October, however my buddyread

#middlegradereadersbuddyread picked Front Desk for the April main selection.  I was able to get it immediately at

the library so I read it this week. It is such a great book for explaining racism and the struggle immigrants face in the

US, especially during the current events.   What I love about this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star book is the positive spirit the

main character, Mia, has throughout the book.  Even though she has to face racism and bullies on a daily basis she

is determined to make her life and the lives of those around her better.  I liked her determination to become a writer

despite the obstacles and barriers she had to work through.  




No comments: