Sunday, May 18, 2014

Book Review: The Gifts of Imperfection



“If you want to live a wholehearted life you have to become…….Intentional about your life.”

An intentional life means something different to everyone.  However, to me, an intentional life means living your life with your purpose in mind.  For me an intentional life looks like:
·      working out daily
·      healthy food
·      cooking at home and not eating out
·      time off of work (I mean the weekends)
·      some mini vacations
·      time for church
·      being present in family events
·      a sense of control of daily events
·      time to think and read

“My story Matters because I Matter.”


I tend to put others needs before myself and therefore my health and my sanity have suffered.  I need to let go of some of my perfections.  Not everything in the house needs to be perfect.  Not everything needs to be perfect for school.  Not everything needs to be perfect for every holiday.  Sometimes it is ok to just let it be.  Every time someone says the word MOM it doesn’t mean that I need to do it right away.  It is ok for me to say, I’ll get to it after I exercise. 


“Make a list of the work that inspires you.  Don’t be practical.   Think about what you LOVE.”
I actually LOVE teaching first grade.  I just wish there was more time for creative lesson planning and less time of correcting and logging in grades.  Less time for filling out meaningless paperwork, less time for responding to parents who are complaining because their children didn’t do the homework assigned.  I just want to teach the children. AND I need to find a balance between teaching and housework.  I feel like I am working two full-time jobs.  

One suggestion the author has is to pray the

Serenity Prayer.


O God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time. Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace. Taking, as he did, the sinful world as it is, not as I would have it. Trusting that he will make all things right if I surrender to His will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him forever.

I think the first line of the prayer hits where I am in life right now……I need to learn to accept what I can not change and do and the courage to change myself and do what is best for my health.


I guess I didn’t write too much about the book, however I think the book did make me think about letting go of who I think I am suppose to be and begin to think about what I need to do to make myself healthier. 


This book was interesting and really had a lot for me to think about. 

No comments: