Friday, August 1, 2014

Planning a Vacation to Hawaii

This week my focus has been my classroom at school, however in between that I am researching places to visit in Hawaii.  That's right this Wisconsin person is going to Hawaii this winter.  My husband and I are going to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.

We are going to the Big Island....now what are we going to see when we get there??????  Good Question....I have no idea.  So I thought for my weekly daydreaming time I would go to my  favorite source...Pinterest and it lead me to two great sites:  Go Hawaii  and National Park Service -- Hawaii Volcanoes .

1.   My husband wants to see an active volcano and Kilauea.  There are two volcano sites to see at the National Park.    We will need about three hours to do the Crater Rim Drive.  There are nine stops along the way with things to see.
source
2.  Another thing to see on that side of the island is Punaluu Black Sand Beach.  The website says it is a great place for a picnic lunch and watching for sea turtles.

3.  Near the National Park is the Thurston Lava Tube.  The Lava tube is a cave that is 500 years old.  The caves were formed from the lava from the volcanoes.  

4.  The last stop of our day is a must for me.  Ka Lae (South Point.)  It is the southern most point of the United States.   AND there is only ocean between South Point and Antarctica....it is the closest I will ever get the the penguins I LOVE!

5.  Every great vacation needs a stop at a winery.  We just love wine.  So I think we will have to make time to stop at the Volcano Winery.



This is a lot of daydreaming for one day.  I will have to research the other side of the island another day.  I do have house and school work to do.

All the photos on today's post are from the Go Hawaii site.  I can not wait to go and take my own photos.



No comments: