Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Book Review: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

I don't remember who recommended this book, but I saw it somewhere and I thought to myself.  Oh a book for me!  I love to tidy up and declutter things.  I agree with the premise of the book, if your house is in order you will be able to enjoy your life.  I mean that makes sense...if everything is put away you will not have to clean. There were a few quotes in the book that hit home with me.

"People cannot change their habits without first changing their way of thinking!"  
This is something I have been working on for the past year or two, I am trying to change my eating habits and the way I think about food. I have always been someone who loves sweets and that is just one of many factors that make me sick.  So I need to change my habits and find new things that I enjoy.  I also need to get in the habit of eating for nutrition and not enjoyment.   

The true goal should be to establish the lifestyle you want most once your house is in order"
What do I want most in my house?????
A relaxing calm place where my adult children can come home and enjoy time with their mom and dad and my grand baby can play with grandma and grandpa. 

The space I live in is graced only with those things that speak to my heart.....What sparks JOY in your heart?
This is something I am definitely working on, as my husband and I get older I don't want a lot of junk around the house.  We hope some day to move to a smaller house and we will need to downsize.  I am trying to keep things that I enjoy and love to see around the house.     Structure to Tidying
  • Clothing
  • Books
  • Papers
  • Photos  
I am going to focus on the first four areas and do the best I can to declutter.  I am only going to keep what we use now.  I am not going to hold on to clothes I don't fit in anymore.  The same goes with my cookbook collection.  Most of the books I can no longer use because of my special diet needs.  It will take a lot of strength to eliminate these.  We have tons and tons of paper work around the house.  This may take me away.  Photos will take years but I will need to start somewhere.  




No comments: