Sunday, July 5, 2015

Reprogram Yourself


"If you don't like the results you are getting............start by programming your heart and choosing what you think......"  
Joyce Meyer


This passage from Joyce's book, Power Thoughts Devotional, have been spinning around in my head the last several days.  I have had a rough week with my stomach.  At the beginning of the week I felt like hey I got this under control....then I took some risks with all the wrong foods...and guess what...I feel horrible again.  

So now I am back to restricting what I eat.  I am reading, Intuitive Eating.  I have read half of the book.  I agree with the authors....dieting has got me nowhere.  I lose the weight for a short period of time but then I gain it back plus more.  
source
The question they ask in the beginning of the book is, What kind of eater are you???
This is a hard question for me to answer because I can see elements of all types in me.  I am a careful eater during the day because I have to be out in public.  I eat only the selected foods that I know are safe for me (chicken, carrots, eggs, roast and spinach) because I know I will not have any issues with those foods.

However, when I get home I am starving and I know I don't have to be around people so I will start to binge eat on anything, especially food I can just grab and continue to work on my computer and eat.  I don't care much or how I will feel while I eat the food until I don't feel good.  Then all the fake promises begin to come forth.  I promise tomorrow to eat healthy, as soon as I finish this bag of cookies I will begin to eat healthy.  

"If you don't love it, don't eat it, and if you love it savor it."

This week I made some gluten free muffins for snack time.  I ate them because ...... well.... I made them.  They weren't bad, however they weren't good.  Instead of making me full they just made me crave more food.  It took five days to realize this.  They made me crave a real muffin and I ended up buying one and eating it.  Three days later my stomach is finally starting to feel better.  

"Make food choices that honor your health and taste buds while making you feel good."

I know this book is about giving up diets and not worrying about diets but I do need to worry about healthy choices.  I do need to worry about finding foods that are good for me and foods that will keep me happy and healthy.  Instead of worrying about how much weight I lose I need to focus on how I feel.  

So I need to work on re-programming my mind, I need to move away from measuring my success in pounds to days where I am not experiencing bloating, heartburn and gas.  I feel if I can have more good days then bad, maybe someday the pounds will come off as well.
    
  
  

No comments: