Tuesday, January 31, 2017

My Favorite Books


I have always loved reading.  I still remember sitting on my mother's lap on the black rocking chair when I was little and listening to her read to me.  When I was a bit older I remember the excitement of getting books from the book orders.  Clifford books were some of my favorites.  Then I remember getting all the purple Nancy Drew books and reading them all year long.  

I enjoy to read and I have read so many books over the years that I just loved.  I thought I would share my favorite book list with you. There is not an order to my list.  All of the books are on my favorites shelf.  

1.  Better Each Day

This book has a bit of everything.  Bits of inspiration and ideas to get you motivated to make little changes each day.  I love this book!  I still like to reread it. 



2.  Organized Simplicity

This is another amazing book.  Great ideas for organizing your house one room at a time.  The best piece of advice in the book:   "Only keep what you love and find beautiful!"



3.  Simple Abundance

This book was sort of long but had some interesting parts.  The best thing I took from this book was the term "homecaring."    It sparked my 31 days of homecaring posts.  

4.  Inspired You

What a beautiful book!  I absolutely loved this book.  I wish I could redecorate my whole house to look like her home.  I cannot believe that she did  all of the work herself and found most of the pieces at thrift shops or antique shops.    I love her French Country style.  She has some wonderful advice throughout the book:  make timeless choicesknow your staples and your home makes a statement about you.”


5.  The Rhythm of Life


I learned so much in this book that I want to apply to my life right now.  Life is all about Choices.  I make the choices to love, to be anger, to have the courage to change.  I choose the food I eat and I choose what is important. 

I cannot change my past but I can make choices to change my future.

Turn your dreams into life goals and then work daily to accomplish those goals and you will find peace, happiness, success and satisfaction. 

I think every person should read this book it is amazing!


6.  Mitten Strings for God

This was a wonderful book for my sacred time.  
I am looking for a way to relax and reflect at the end of a long day and this book was perfect. 

This book was a joy to read.  
I looked forward to reading it each night.  

There were so many important things I wanted to remember from this book. 
1. Create a Haven of Serenity in your Home and Heart
2. “If you keep your life simple and your surroundings simple
It will be easier to keep your balance.”


7.  Your Beautiful Life

I don't remember exactly how I came about this book but I am glad I did.   You can get the book for free if you sign up for emails at Karen's blog, A House Full of Sunshine.   I wish I would have read this when I was a young mother.  It made a lot of sense to me as a mother and a teacher.  It tied both my worlds together.   Karen cleverly entitled each chapter so it spelled out Beauty.  

Be Yourself
Focus on yourself and don't worry about comparing yourself to others.  Look at your own passions, gifts and abilities and build upon your own strengths.  

Environment
Create a purposeful home one that reflects our own values and meets our needs.  Don't worry about what other think and long as your family is happy. 

Action
Create daily routines for yourself.  Just like at school.  Positive routines lead to good habits.  Make lists of what needs to be done and work on them slowly.   Planning is key to successful changes.
Make a Daily/Weekly Schedule for Yourself and stick to it.

Upcycle Your Live
Make a list of how you can create/bring more beauty to each room in your house and try to do your best with the things your already have.

Thankful
"Give thanks in the little moments, because together they add up to a thankful life."    So True!  I need to appreciate the little moments in life and not worry so much about work!

Yielded
Creating a Beautiful Life means
  • bringing beauty to others
  • teaching others
  • helping others
  • welcoming guests
  • showing God's love through my actions and words.


8.  The Miracle on Voo Doo Mountain

The Miracle on VooDoo Mountain was by far one of the most inspiring books I read so far.  This is a must read in my opinion.  The book was written by Megan, who was 23 years old at the time, when she changed her life forever.  Megan wrote the true accounts of her first year in Haiti and how she followed her calling from God.  

Even though she was unsure at first what the calling was, she continued to pray and remain strong.  The book is about how she managed to make a major impact on the restavek children in Haiti. She started a food program with next to nothing, she brought about change in unfair orphanage practices, and she started a mission for children with a school all in the first year she was there. 
9.  We Are Liars

This is a 5 star book.  It is a wonderful story about a young girl who goes through a traumatic experience.  The end of the story will surprise you. 

10. The Giver

This book was amazing.  It was hard to put down.  The ending will leave you thinking for days.  



11. The DaVinci Code


12. Angels and Demons


No comments: