Thursday, August 31, 2017

August Reading Log


Wow!!! I read some amazing books this month.  I've been trying for days to think about which book was my favorite and to be honest I have a three way tie.  I absolutely loved All the Bright Places, Everything, Everything, and Inside the O'Briens A very close second would be Mrs. Mike

It is so hard to choose because I fell in love with the characters of all the books and I didn't want to stories to end.  I just wanted to know more, what happened next?  How did they go on? Where did they go from there?

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven,  this young adult book deals with a serious subject, suicide.  Violet and Theodore's love story is amazing.  They come together in a very unlikely circumstance.   It sends a strong message to teenagers that their actions no matter how small can have an impact on others.  Think before you act!!! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon, is another young adult book. This book is a story of first love between Maddy and Olly.  Of course it is not that easy,  Maddy is allergic is everything.  She is a girl that has to live in sterilized house.  No germs are allowed in the house at all.  She is a girl who lives through books and her computer.  Olly and his troubled family moves in next door to Maddy and their friendship grows from there.  "What would you risk for love?" is the question Maddy must face. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐   

The Five People You Will Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Albom, was about an old man, Eddie, who passes away and goes to heaven and meets five people.  You have to read a lot about his life to see how the five people fit into his life.  Eddie also works through a lot of his own relationships as well.  I had a hard time staying focused in this book.  There was so much background information that you had to read to get to the point.  I lost interest several times.  ⭐⭐⭐

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg, is one of my favorite books from my childhood.  I loved this book as a child and I decided to reread it.  I'm glad I did because I had forgotten a lot of details from the story.  The book is about Claudia and Jamie as they decided to run away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.  The sibling interaction is humorous and some of the details are funny because you know there is no way that could happen in modern times.  I still think it is a great children's book.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Inside the O'Briens, by Lisa Genova, is an amazing story about Joe O'Brien and his family.  It is a heart breaking story about how Huntington Disease takes away so much from you, your job, your friends, your respect, and your life.  As Joe struggles with all of this he has to live with the fact that he has passed this disease down to his children and possible grandchildren.  The book is just a great reminder to not judge people....treat others with kindness and respect.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

In the Unlikely Event, by Judy Blume, was an easy pick for me because I have always loved a book written by Judy Blume.  I have been reading her books since I was a little girl and I love that she is writing for adults.  The story is about a young girl, Miri, who grows up in Elizabeth, New Jersey.  In one year there are three different airplane crashes in their small town.  How does this affect the people in the town?  Miri and her friends and family are impacted by the crashed.  This is a good story as well.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Mrs. Mike, by Benedice and Nancy Freedman, is an amazing story of a young girl, Kathy, who at the age of 16 moves from Boston to Alberta Canada during the 1800.  She falls in love in Mike Flannigan, a Canadian Mountie, and move further North into the wilderness. Living in the wilderness has brings many friendships, challenges and tragic events.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐  

The Lemonade War, by Jacqueline Davies, is another children's book I read based on a recommendation from Instagram.  It was a cute story about brother/sister jealousy.  It is also a good book to start a discussion about accepting others and working towards your personal strengths.  ⭐⭐⭐

The Prayer Box, by Lisa Wingate, is a wonderful story about a focusing on yourself and working hard.  Tandi is a single mother who is struggling raising her two teenage children.  She comes across some hidden boxes when cleaning out an old house and she discovers a whole new life for herself. My only disappointment with this story is that I thought is was going to some how tie together with The Sea Glass Sisters which is did not for me.⭐⭐⭐

The Sea Glass Sisters, by Lisa Wingate, is a short story that I thought was an introduction to The Prayer Box.  The story was about Elizabeth who is an overworked mother who is at the end of her rope. She is dealing with a lot and needs a break from life.  She goes on a road trip with her mother.  Dealing with her mother and her aunt things start to fall back in place.⭐⭐⭐

The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger, is another great book. Clare and Henry have an unusual relationship.  Clare is an artist and Henry is a librarian and a time traveler.  As they attempt to live a normal life they face many challenges from Henry's uncontrollable time traveling. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

Waiting for Morning, by Karen Kingsbury, is what I would call Christian Fiction.  It is a story about both sides of drunk driving issue and turning away from your faith when you need it most.  It is a sad story and it tears at your heart because as a parent/wife it hits at your worst fear.  Even though I cried several times throughout the story, I felt the story was a bit repetitive and predictable. ⭐⭐⭐


No comments: