Tuesday, October 17, 2017

September Reading Log

Wow!!! I'm very late with this post.  As you can tell from my lack of posting, life is very busy around here.  No time for projects lately.  Just the necessities of daily living.  Even my reading has degreased.  That's what happens when you work and babysit ALL day and then go straight to bed, get up and repeat.  
Audiobooks have been my best friend this month, I listen to them as a drive from one place to the next.  
Heaven is for Real, by Todd Burpo, is about is an experience his young son as gone through.  As a very young child Colton had a serious medical operation.  As he grows up and has conversations with his parents he surprises his parents with his knowledge of what happened at the hospital and heaven. He begins to describe Jesus, and the angels, and other family members who are now in heaven whom he has never met on Earth.  This is a true story and will make you think about the world after Earth.  I give this book ⭐⭐⭐/5 stars. 

Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell, is a beautiful story of two students who don't quiet fit in at school.  In fact, the other students pick on Eleanor constantly but Park stands up for her. Park is a true friend, he shares things with her and helps Eleanor find the courage to face the struggles with her family and the other students at school.  The ending is surprising as well.  I give this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 stars.  

All The Light We Cannot See, by Anothony Doerr is amazing.  I guess that is why it won the Pulitzer Prize.  It it a complex story about two different lives during WWII. A young, blind, french girl (Marie-Laure) and a young german boy(Werner).  The chapters alternate telling their stories and perspectives during the war until one day their lives collide.  You will hold your breath during the last few chapters unable to put the book down. I give this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ /5 stars.   
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, by G. Zevin, is a fun and humorous story about A.J. Fikry is a grumpy man who is already set in his ways.  He lives alone and runs a bookstore and at the end of each night he drinks himself to sleep. His life begins to change when he meets two people, a young rep from a publishing company and a little girl named Maya.  The ending of the book completing surprised me, I didn't expected that ending in a romance novel.  I would give this book ⭐⭐⭐🌟 /5 stars. It gets the extra shiny star because it has a book theme to it.   
Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella, is a funny and quirky book about a young girl, Audrey, who has gone through a dramatic experience at school and is now afraid to socialize with others and leave her home.  The family drama around her is hilarious and with the help from her brother's friend she is able to go out into the world....or at least to Starbucks.  I give this book ⭐⭐⭐/5 stars.  If you are you are looking for a light and fun read.....this is your book.

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen, was another young adult book I read this month.  Sydney feels like she lives in the shadow of the disaster of a life her brother,Payton has created.  She is embarrassed and ashamed by how her brother and her mother are dealing with the situation.  On top of that her brother's creeping friend, who her mother thinks is so wonderful, keeps hanging around. Sydney meets Mac and his younger sister who step in and become her new friends and make her feel loved and help her work through accepting and dealing with what her brother did.  I would give this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 stars.  

The Bookshop Around the Corner, by Jenny Coligan, was a truly delightful book.  I think this book captured my heart this month. It made me want to go out and buy a little bookstore in a little town or maybe even a little bookmobile that I could drive from one fresh market to another.  OK reality check.....that would not work with my lifestyle.....The story was adorable.  Nina, the main character was interesting and easy to relate to.  Of course, it was a romance novel, but watch out because life does not alway work out the way you think it will.  I would give this book ⭐⭐⭐🌟/5 stars.  It gets the extra shiny star because it has a book theme to it.

  


Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, by David Sedaris, is a book about David's life.  I began to listen to this book, is was just rambling and rambling of different situations in David's life.  I just didn't relate.  So I stopped listening halfway through....I felt like I was wasting time.  Sorry David...this midwestern, catholic girl just didn't get it.  


Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Steiner, has a home town appeal to me.  I live in Wisconsin and part of the story takes place in my state capital, Madison.  I am only 1/2 way through this book I thought I would be finished by now but I have had to set it aside for now.  I am just too busy to finish this book.  

No comments: