Sunday, November 4, 2018

October 2018 Reading Log




Once again I look back at the month of October and I think, WOW, where did this month go?  I did not read as much as I would have liked to this month due to a lot of headaches. However the books I read were amazing.  The Great Alone was by far my favorite book.  I think Kristin Hannah is great writer.  I am thinking of reading one of her books a month in 2019.  



Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte, was a reread for me.  I know I read this when
I was in high school but I did not recall a single thing in the story.  I also felt like I should
reread it because I often hear references to this book or the characters in other books.  
The third reason I felt I had to reread the book was that I purchased this beautiful copy
of the book. I did not remember how dark this book was.  The story is retold by the
housekeeper/nanny perspective. The story is all about love and revenge. The cruelty
towards children and women during that time period is unbelievably.  #classic
#unreadshelfproject2018




The Great Alone, by Kristin Hannah, is just an amazing *****/5 star story.  
Ernt Allbright is a POW from the Vietnam war. After he loses yet another job he
moves his wife Cora and daughter Leni off the grid to Alaska without much planning in Fall.
 Ernt drinks a lot and suffers from PSD. All these elements build to a lot of obstacles for
Cora and Leni. I am looking forward to my first buddyread with this book with
@kirst_reads_books.  #buddyread #unreadshelfproject2018











Knots in My Yo-Yo String An Autobiography of a Kid, by Jerry Spinelli, was my only Battle of the Books read this month.  I have to be honest I did not enjoy this book at all. It was a memoir and it was very hard for me to relate to it.  Young boys will probably enjoy it because Jerry’s early life centered around sports. #battleofthebooks2018






The Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, is a beautiful book.  Sara,
although strange character, is a wonderful example of what is means to be a beautiful
person inside and out.  Her kindness towards everyone even those who are not kind
to her is a true example of being humble and kind but what really stood out to me was
her ability to give to others.  When she was hungry and had not eaten for days she still
gave food to another girl who she felt was even hungrier than her. That in my eyes is a
gracious soul. #classic #unreadshelfproject2018








I read, The Red Notebook, this week.  It is an adorable romantic story that takes place in my favorite city, Paris.  I give this story ***/5 stars. Of course I would like it this story, when Laurent , a bookseller, finds a handbag on a Parisian street there is a red notebook inside with notes from the owner about her life.  Laurent feels a strong connection with the owner. It really is a sweet short love story.  #unreadshelfproject2018




















I have to be honest I picked The Bookshop of Yesterdays,
by Amy Meyerson for two reasons:  1. There was a stack of books on the cover, and
2.  It was about a bookshop. Right there in my mind is two stars.  
When Miranda inherits her Uncle Billy bookstore she has to work through debt,
trust issues, and issues with her parents to make the store work.  She is a history
teacher on the East Coast and the bookstore is on the West Coast and she has to
make some major life decisions. Even though the story is predictable it still is a cute mystery/love story.   I give this book ****/5 stars.
#booksaboutbooks





I picked The Truth According to Us on an impulse because it was by Anne Barrows who co-wrote, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.    The story takes place in a small town where everyone seems to know everyone else’s business.  Willa, a young girl, is desperate to find out more about her father. Layla, a visitor to town, is there to prove to her dad she can do anything by herself.  Both Layla and Willa find themselves allies as they forge forward searching for the truth.

No comments: