Sunday, December 2, 2018

November 2018 Reading Log






This is my bulletin board outside my reading room so far this year.  It started out as just the Mo
Willems characters and book covers and the saying “Read “MO” books!”.  Then as it turned to fall I
added the leaves, pumpkins and the saying, “Fall into “MO” Books!” For Thanksgiving I added the
headdress and hats and a jazzed up Thanksgiving Banner from the the dollar section at Target.
 Some of the students already asked me when I am going to put Santa hats on them.




I’ll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa de Los Santos, is the third
book in a series of stories.  (Loved Walk In & Belong to Me).
Each story stands on its own but has shared characters.
 This is an enjoyable, light story. I does touch on abuse but
from the perspective of the people who try to help the victims.
I'll Be Your Blue Sky focuses on Claire and the uncertainty
she feels right before her wedding. Claire is dealing with her
unstable fiancee and she struggles because she wants to be
there for him and help him however she is afraid of him.  She
meets an old lady in a park who changes her life forever.
This is a 3.5 star book. #audiobooks

I read many mixed reviews about Educated, however I really enjoyed this book.
 It reminded me of the book, The Glass Castle in that both authors really had to take
responsibility for their own
education.  They really had to push and challenge themselves
and rely on others to guide them through school decisions. It
gives hope to those who want to obtain a high school education
and beyond. If YOU put the time and effort into it, it is possible to
get an education.   I was surprised with the abuse that took
place and her parents did nothing to stop it. #audiobook


I finally finished, Love Ruby Lavender.  This book was for school and I just had a hard time staying
motivated to read it when there were so many other great choices arrived on Overdrive.  It was a
cute story about Ruby, who is dealing with the death of her grandfather. Ruby and her grandmother
have a lot to work out but when Ruby’s grandmother goes to Hawaii, Ruby is on her own.  
#battleofthebooks2018



I have been reading, Shiloh, with my fifth grade reader this month.  What a great story!! I have not
read this story before and it was just amazing.  It dealt with so many real-life issues and Marty’s
character was great. We had lots of wonderful discussions about honesty, withholding information,
animal cruelty and following the law.  
#middlegrades




How to Walk Away by Katherine Center is one of those books you look at the cover and just know it
will be good because the cover is so beautiful.   At first I thought the character, Maggie, was just like
a typical early twenty something, totally focused on herself. She is in love with Chip and she
appears to be willing to  follow him anywhere. As the story progressed I thought she faced adversity
with grace and positivity. She was kind to everyone who helped her and she never gave up. I
thought this was a wonderful three star book.


I started reading, Fates and Furies, early for a buddy read for December because I knew once
Thanksgiving came I would be all about Christmas romance novels.  WOW, this is a good book.
There were times in this book I was frustrated with the character Lotto, could he really be that full of
himself.  But like any great story there are two sides to everything. So not only did Lotto have flaws
so did his beloved, Mathilde. The first half of the book is from Lotto’s perspective and the second
have is from Mathilde’s.  You will be shocked!!!! I think this is a five star book. It makes you think,
what is your spouse really thinking??? I think I know. I hope I’m right. #audiobooks





I have read several Ann Patchett books and enjoyed them.  Bel Canto has been on my tbr for a
while.  This book did not disappoint me. It had some interesting characters and how these
characters adjust to different roles in captivity.  I found it interesting how both the prisoners and the
rebels bonded over the music. #audiobooks


Mississippi Bridge is a short story with a powerful message. Jeremy is a young boy living in
Mississippi in 1930 and confused by the separation of whites and blacks in his community.   Jeremy
wants to be friends with the Logan children but they don’t want to hang out with him nor does his dad
want him hanging out with the “colored” children. The Logan children don’t trust him because he is
white.    When the Logan children witness the bus filled with people go over the side of the bridge.
Jeremy has to convince them that their grandmother was sent off the bus because seats were
needed for white people who arrived late.     Will they believe him? #battleofthebooks2018


Mr . Miracle by Debbie Macomber is about an angel who is sent here to help Addie get her life
together.   Although I never really felt like Addie was the one who needed the help. She had already
made the decision to go back to community school where she met, Harry the angel/teacher.  She
was working through her problems on her own when she stepped in to be nice to her mom and her
mom’s friend and take care of Erich. This is where the Christmas romance begins. This is a fun feel
good love story and a quick read.  


Karen Kingbury’s The Baxter Family Christmas has several different stories going on all at once.
 First there is John Baxter who feels compelled to invite Kendra to Christmas Eve.  Kendra received
his daughter’s heart several years ago after a terrible accident. Kendra is going through some
personal issues herself and John feels if his family could show Kendra what family really means it
would help her make sense of her world.  Not all of John’s grown children agree with him.
Then there is Maddie’s guilt about her sister’s accident.  She can not move forward with her life and
relationships and she prays for a Christmas miracle.

Lost of family drama, love, togetherness and understanding makes this a wonderful Christmas story.




Starry Night by Debbie Macomber, is a wonderful Christmas story set in Alaska.  When Carrie goes
off to Alaska totally unprepared for the environment to interview the reclusive author, Finn.  Love is
in the air. The story is predictable but it is a cute romance novel.
#audiobooks




My favorite Christmas story in November was, Christmas in Eternity Springs, by Emily March.  It
had an interesting storyline beyond the girl meets boy at Christmas time and falls in love.  Claire has
had a rough life. The latest break-up with her fiancee, the liar, has her running away from the city to
a little town.  She opens her own little Christmas shop. Here she meets a single father with an
emotional young boy who is afraid of Christmas. As Nick, the little boy, faces his fears, so do Jax
and Claire.  Jax and Claire learn to believe in each other and learn that Christmas is truly about love.








No comments: