Wednesday, March 3, 2021

February Reading Log 2021

 




February is finally over.  I have to be honest I was a little bit disappointed in some of my reads this month.  I had high hopes for my adult fiction books and most of them were just so so for me.  My favorite book this month was How the Penguins Saved Veronica.  This book had just the right amount of quirkiness and humor for me to make it an enjoyable book.  I also really enjoyed both Elizabeth Avecedeo books, Clap When You Land and With the Fire on High.  Both stories are excellent with strong female characters.  The Middle Grade books I read were excellent.  Did you read any of these books?  What were your thoughts? 


Fiction

Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions ⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Bookshop of Second Chances ⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Boyfriend Project ⭐️⭐️⭐️

The House Guest ⭐️⭐️⭐️

How the Penguins Saved Penguins ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

In Light of the Summit ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Kitchens of the Great Midwest ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Wild at Heart ⭐️⭐️⭐️


Young Adult

Clap When You Land ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The House on Mango Street ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

With the Fire on High. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️



Middle Grade

A Kind of Paradise ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Missing Bookshop (Picture Book) ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A Thousand Questions ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Nonfiction 

Hana’s Suitcase⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️







Book 19

Hana’s Suitcase

By: Karen Levine

Genre: Middle Grade/Nonfiction/Historical 


My first book of February is a nonfiction middle grade book that I read for Battle of the Books.  Believe it or not this book has connections to three continents.  


In March 2000,  Fumiko Ishioka, the curator for a children’s Holocaust education center in Tokyo, Japan, received a suitcase from a Holocaust victim from Auschwitz.  It said, “Hana Brady Waisenkind,”  From this suitcase Fumiko Ishioka led the children at the museum on a journey to learn about who Hana Brady was.  Where did she live before the war?  What happened to her during the war?  Fumiko Ishioka traveled to Europe to find the answers to the childrens’ questions.  Through their questions they learn and find a surprise and friendship that brings the whole story back to Japan.  I found the story to be interesting and like many stories that tell what happened to the Jews during WWII it brought tears to my eyes.  




Book 20

Kitchens of the Great Midwest

By: J. Ryan Stradal

Genre: Fiction 


I listened to the audiobook Kitchens of the Great Midwest as I made valentines for my granddaughter’s class.  I read this book with the #mmdbookclub this month.   I’ve had this book on my tbr list for quite a while and I was super excited when  Anne picked this for February.   


I really struggled with this book. It felt like each chapter was a new story but once you got into it you had to figure out how this new person affected Eva’s life.  You as a reader had to put a lot of the pieces together yourself.   The whole time I was wondering “What was Eva thinking?”  “When will we hear Eva’s side of the story?” But we really didn’t.  We saw through the actions of others and how she planned out how she conducted her business which people were important to her and who made impressions.  


Even at the end of the story I was left feeling Eva made all these decisions at the meal and did her guests really pick up on them.     I was left wanting to know more about Eva.  I could make a lot of assumptions but I wanted to know more.   I was left with an uneasy feeling at the end of the book.  It felt like things were unresolved and that is why I am giving the book ⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.  



Book 21

In Sight of the Summit

By: Jamie McGillen

Genre: Historical Fiction 


I’m reading this book with the #thereadroversbookclub this month.  I read the first book in the series last month and loved it and I couldn’t wait to read In Light of the Summit.  In this book Ann and Ben get married and we learn more about Ben’s parents.  We also learn more about Anna’s friend Emily.  It’s a beautiful ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ historical fiction book.  If you like Ann of Green Gables or Little House on the Prairie you will definitely enjoy these books. 


I was thinking of @ when I read this book.  I think you may like this series.  If you want to borrow my books just let me know and I’ll send them with our little guy.  


📷:Background photo from my vacation in 2013 Grand Teton National Park. 




Book 22 

Auntie Poldi and the Silcian Lions

By: Mario Giordano 

Genre: Mystery 


I’ve had Auntie Poldi and the Silcian Lions on my tbr list since 2018 when @annebogel recommended it on her Summer Reading Guide.  I quickly added it to my audible library but just never got around to listening to it.  However, I put it on my unread list for 2021 and my MMD challenge and Hooray I finally listened to it.  It is a mystery story and it reminded me of the Agatha Christie stories that I listened to a few years back.  Unfortunately I just wasn’t in the right place for this novel.  I just seemed to be listening to the story to get it over with than for enjoyment.  That is on me. I just could not relate to the characters or get into the mystery.  So sadly right now I have to give it ⭐️⭐️stars.  Maybe in another time and place I will do better with the story. 


📷Background photo: Stock photo from PicMonkey





Book 23

The House on Mango Street

By:  Sandra Cisneros 

Genre: Fiction 


I added The House on Mango Street to my tbr list after reading a post by @thebooksellersdaughter.  I believe the classification for this book is YA and it is a novel that is written in short vignettes that tell the story of a young girl, Esperanzo, growing up in Chicago.   


The vignettes highlight the Mexican-American culture and social themes existing in her neighborhood.   It is a beautiful written story of the struggles that Esperanzo experiences in the neighborhood.  The dreams she has for herself vs. the dreams her parents have for her.  I especially liked the preface of the story where the author explained her thoughts and experiences. She explained where she drew her inspiration for her character's experiences.  It was very enlightening ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ story.  If you like to read about other cultures and learn from others’ experiences, then you will enjoy these stories.   




Book 24

A Kind of Paradise

By:  Amy Rebecca Tan

Genre:  Middle Grade /Realistic Fiction 


I purchased this book back in March 2020 when Kayla @idlewildreads wrote she wanted to “hug” this book after reading it.  Boy was she right.  This middle grade book was fantastic.  The story is about a young girl, Jamie,  who makes a terrible mistake and has to do community service at the city library.  There she learns not only to be responsible but why a library is so vital to a community.  It is more than just a place to find books, it’s a place to keep warm, find jobs, learn about your city and make a difference in your community.   This ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star book teaches so much about standing up to a bully, developing confidence and appreciating those around you.  If you read with children this may be a book you may want to consider and it will offer great opportunities for discussions.  






Book 25

The House Guest

By:  Mark Edwards

Genre:  Mystery/Thriller


The House Guest is the February pick for my teacher friends book club.  This was my first book by this author and I have to say for the most part I enjoyed the story.  There were a couple places I felt you had to take a bit of a leap to make the story work, especially at the end but for the most part I felt the story was very suspenseful.  To be honest I did figure out early in the story who one of the major players was and I had to listen to the ending twice because I was like wait what.  Overall, I liked the story and I would give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.   


In other news I am getting a lot of reading done, between the cold and snow here in WI there is nowhere to go.  I finished my book puzzle.  However, to be honest I worked and reworked two areas for three days and I just had to let it go.  It’s not perfect but it’s close.  


Book 26

A Thousand Questions 

By:  Saadia Faruqi

Genre:  Middle Grade/ Realistic Fiction 


I read, A Thousand Questions, for a buddy read with

 #middlegradereadersbuddyread. It is a fabulous book. I loved this book, I’m so glad @just.another.chapter.and.tea.  recommended it.  It alternates POV each chapter between the two main characters.  Mimi, an American girl, who is visiting her grandparents in Pakistan for the first time.  And, Sakina, a servant girl from Pakistan.  Both girls live completely different lives but have some similar needs.  Sakina would give anything to have the things Mimi has and be able to go to school. Mimi would give anything to have what Sakina has, a relationship with her family.   Both girls work together to help each other realize and adjust their dreams.  I’m always amazed at the great literature that is available for young children.  This book offers so much for discussion.  I am looking forward to our buddyread chat on Saturday.  



Book 27

Wild at Heart

By:  K.A. Tucker

Genre:  Romance


I really enjoyed the book The Simple Wild last year by K.A.Tucker and the romance story of Calla and Jonah.  So when I read a review for the sequel Wild at Heart by @wordswithrach I had to purchase the book. I decided to save it for February for a fun read.  Rachel was right, the book starts out slow.  Calla is very indecisive in this book. She wants to be with Jonah but she doesn’t know what type of career she can have living in the wild of Alaska.  Therefore she appears to be lost and frustrated throughout the book.  Eventually she finds her way and it makes for a good ending but by then I pretty much lost interest.  What I liked about the book is the way this little community comes together to help one another.  I give this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.  


📷: Background Photo from PicMonkey


Book 28

Clap When You Land

By:  Elizabeth Acevedo 

Genre:  YA/ Poetry


I put the audiobook Clap When You Land on hold on Libby App last September after I read Poet X.  I wanted to listen to the audiobook because I wanted to hear the poetry read by the author.  This is an amazing story about two girls who didn’t know they were sisters.  They live in different countries and their lives are very different.  The only person they have in common is their dad.   A dad who just died and had secrets.   Now the girls need to move forward and put together a future on their own.   This is a great story of family and forgiveness.  I really enjoyed this book and gave it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.   


Book 29

The Bookshop of Second Chances

By: Jackie Fraser

Genre:  Romance


Thank you to @NetGalley and @randomhouse Publishing Group Ballantine for allowing me to preview this book.  


I love reading books that are set in small town bookshops and libraries. Now add some tea and romance and you have a wonderful story.  


In The Bookshop of Second Chances, Thea’s marriage falls apart and she loses her job.  Her life is looking pretty hopeless until she inherits a house in Scotland. There she meets some new friends and finds a new job with a grumpy man named Edward.  They form a friendship as they work side by side in the bookshop sharing book jokes and quotes throughout the day and this eventually leads to a relationship.  However, with any new relationship there are a lot of obstacles.   


What I liked about the story is Thea isn’t trying to find a new boyfriend.  She is really looking for new friends and trying to put her life back in order.  Thea tries to start each day positive and make the day good for her.   What didn’t work for me in the book was Edward.  His life up to Thea was so bizarre and then he just seemed so attentive with caring with Thea.  I would say this is a ⭐️⭐️⭐️ star read for me.  I liked this book.  

📷:Background Photo from PicMonkey


Book 30

The Missing Bookshop

By:  Katie Clapham

Genre:  Picture Book/Realistic Fiction 


The Missing Bookshop was given to me by my daughter in law @schueller24 after a book party she had last year.  It is such a cute picture book about a bookshop and a little girl.  It teaches young children that even the smallest gesture can make a difference in the community.  Even though it is a picture book it is a perfect book/gift for a book lover.  I can not wait for my little guys to have the patience and attention to sit through this picture book.  I know we will enjoy this book together.   





Book 31

How The Penguins Saved Veronica 

By:  Hazel Prior

Genre:  Women’s Fiction 


Here is a fun fact about me.  I’m not much of an animal lover but if I could have any animal for a pet I would choose a penguin. 🐧  When I taught kindergarten and first grade, January was my favorite month because I read penguin books to the children all month.  I had a lot of penguin books.  The kids would give me penguin pictures, books and stuffed penguins as gifts.  At one point I had over 63 stuffed penguins in my classroom.  I did a math lesson classifying and graphing them.   


When @stuff4bd posted about the book How the Penguins Saved Veronica, I couldn’t wait to read it.  Well I did have to wait my turn on the #Libbyapp but that’s another story.  I loved this adorable story of a 85 year old granny traveling to Antarctica to see the Adelie penguins. 

I enjoyed her background story and her present day story.  I loved the reunion with her grandson.  If you are looking for a fun, endearing story for a change of pace, then this is the book for you.  


I may be biased but I’m giving this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars.  It had humor, heartbreak, forgiveness, love and Penguins.  What else do you want in a book?  




Book 32

With The Fire on High

By:  Elizabeth Acevedo 

Genre:  YA Fiction 


I finished this Andy Warhol flower puzzle as I listened to the book, With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo.  This is the third Elizabeth Acevedo book I read and I loved all three of them.  Each book has been unique and different and has strong young females as their main characters. 


 In With the Fire on High the main character, Emoni Santiago, is a seventeen year old teenage mom.  What I liked about this book was although Emoni has  help from her grandmother raising her baby. However, she knows it is her responsibility to raise her child.   I was also pleased to read that the teenage father and his family were also present in the baby’s life.  You really felt the strong sense of family, community and friendship in this book.  Elizabeth Acevedo doesn’t write fairy tales but she does write that your dreams can come true through hard work, determination and perseverance.  I give this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars for inspiring young people to not give up on their dreams.  








Book 33

The Boyfriend Project

By:  Farrah Rochon

Genre:  Romance


Today is the buddyread with #readersacrossoceans and this month our selection is The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon.  The members of our little group wanted to read a romance novel for the month of February and this book certainly hit the mark.  


The Boyfriend Project follows Samiah Brooks after a horrific break up that goes viral.   She meets two new best friends Taylor and London and they decide to work on individual projects instead of finding boyfriends.  However there is a new guy at the Samiah’s office and they hit it off instantly.  


For me this book is somewhat repetitive at times.  What I did like about the story was that the women were strong enough to walk away from an unhealthy relationship without whining about it.  Secondly, I liked the numerous mentions of working with  community outreach programs.  All in all I am giving this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars. 


No comments: