Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Organizing Coupons




Tis a gift to be simple,
Tis the gift to be free,
Tis a gift to come down
Where we ought to be
And when we find ourselves
In the place thats right
Twill be in the valley
Of love and delight.

Nineteenth Century Shaker Hymn

I have loved this song since I first heard it back in college.  However I know I did not really understand it until now.  How could I understand the song when I was in my twenties I was still at the point in my life that you always want something more.  Sometimes I feel like I am still there and other times I feel like I am starting to move beyond. 

Last year I did two different posts about coupons:
Post One was when I organized our office space downstairs.

Post two when I read Toni’s, post about the Coupon Lady at A Bowl Full of Lemons.  I immediately had to make that coupon binder.  I knew I would love that binder:  1.  I loved the pattern and was eyeing it up at Target.  I just needed a reason to buy it.  2.  I just love binders.  So I was sure the system was going to work for me.   Look I made a cute cover page and everything. 

My wise daughter said, “You don’t want to carry the giant binder with you shopping and who cuts out that many coupons?” 

But I just had to make that binder.  I used the binder for about 5 months.  It was difficult to carry around and most weeks I forgot the binder.  It hardly had any coupons in it.  

So here I am a year later, not using any coupons at all and if I am they are clipped on to the refrigerator again.  
Hmmm where is the binder?????  I cannot even find it.

So I went back to my original idea of four envelopes.  Unfortunately I did not save my envelopes that were in the office.
  So I had to make new ones. 
 I like to use four envelopes divided into the four areas I  like to shop and save coupons for:
·      The grocery story
·      Target
·      The Mall
·      Restaurants
Of course I had to decorate my envelopes and make the cute.  

This is me paring down and getting back to what works for me.
 Simple and Organized and that brings me Happiness :)

1 comment:

Claudia said...

I like the envelope idea! Simple but so easy and accessible. Totally doing this!