Saturday, August 9, 2014

Planning My Vacation to Hawaii Part 2 -- Kona


I am starting to look at places to visit on my upcoming vacation to Hawaii.  My husband and I plan on spending five days on the Big Island.  Last week I explored some places that looked interesting on the east side of the island with the volcanoes.  This week I am looking at the west side of the island, well that was my goal.  

Kona, Hawaii

The first place I found is Historic Kailua Village.  It has lots of dining and shopping however there are some historic spots to stop in and see.  I would like to go to Hulihee Palace.  I am not sure if it will be open when I get there but I will at least go and look from the outside.


Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park is another site for us to go see.    This is the site of a refuge for ancient lawbreakers.  There is a ten foot wall to see and a black lava beach.  


Pololu Valley Lookout is just a nice area to relax and hike.  It looks like a beautiful place to take in some fresh air and just sit and talk a while.  


The more I search the Go Hawaii website the more I find activities on the other side of the island.  I found two amazing things I would like to do on the east side of the island.


A full day bike tour around the volcanoes.  The tours are rain or shine and very expensive.  So I am nervous about scheduling to far ahead of time.  However this is something I know we will do.  



Rainbow Falls can be found in Wailuku River Stat Park this is on the east side of the island.  
These falls are just for viewing not for swimming.  However a rainbow is almost guarantee because of the mist that forms below the falls.  


There are some great boat tours and swimming with dolphins and even a submarine tour, I just don't know if I can handle it.  I get extremely sea sick so I don't know.  My heart wants to do those activities but my head reminds me I'll be sick the rest of the day. 


No comments: